Drew Gresik has again sent some images from a recent MVA that was responed to by both Riverside and North Riverside companies.
Archive for October, 2010
In Dupage County (Division 12), the Carol Stream Fire District has three stations. They staff one engine company, one two-piece squad company, one tower ladder, three ambulances, plus a battalion chief. Their apparatus consists of two E-ONE engines, an E-ONE tower ladder, an Alexis engine, plus an Alexis heavy rescue. All of the ambulances are from Life Line on various IHC chassis.
The headquarters station has four drive-through bays, the administrative offices, and a complete training facility which includes a burn tower. This station staffs a battalion car, an ambulance, and a tower ladder quint. It is home to a spare ambulance, an OEM Mobile Command Unit, a spare engine, and two antiques in addition to FPB and other staff vehicles.
The Carol Stream Fire District web site has a nice history of the department which tells the story of the Keeneyville Fire Protection District and the Carol Stream Company. The fire apparatus for many years was painted black over yellow until 1996 when the yellow was changed to red.
At Station 3 which is located at 1045 Lies Road, Carol Stream runs a two-piece squad company. These units always respond together. The first piece of the company is the squad 235, a 2006 Spartan Gladiator Classic/Alexis 1500/750 pumper squad. The second piece is rescue 235, their brand new 2010 Spartan Metro Star Alexis HDR. The ‘squad’ has a complete complement of hydraulic rescue tools and the ‘rescue’ has supplemental equipment, and air cascade system, and is more of a specialty unit with extensive TRT materials and supplies.
In Division 24, the Homewood Fire Department has been added to the site. They cover 5 square miles with a combination of career and part-time personnel. Their apparatus is from Pierce, Smeal, Crimson, and 3D. An interesting aspect of their fleet is the number of different chassis manufacturers that are represented in their station. The Pierce utilizes a Lance chassis, and they also have one cab and chassis from HME, Spartan, and Pemfab. They have two ambulances in their station plus a reserve ambulance which they share with Flossmoor and Hazel Crest. This unit is housed in the Hazel Crest station. All images were submitted by Karl Klotz.
This week, they sold their 1982 Mack MR engine to Ford Heights, and in March of next year, they are expecting delivery of a new aerial from Pierce.
The Manhattan Fire Protection District in Will County has received several new vehicles. Last year they took delivery of a 2009 Spartan Gladiator heavy rescue unit from SVI (Super Vac) Trucks in Loveland, Co.
This year they have received a 2010, IHC 4300 Type I MICU from Horton which is assigned as Ambulance 1224 at their Station 2. This replaces a 2002, IHC 4300 Type I MICU from Road Rescue which has been moved to Station 1 and renumbered as Ambulance 1215.
The newest delivery for Manhattan is a 2010, Spartan Gladiator Classic/Alexis engine with a 1,500-GPM pump and a 750-gallon water tank.
The Manhattan FPD will be added to the site within the next few days. Karl Klotz has submitted images for all of the apparatus with the exception of the two new 2010 vehicles which he hopes to photograph in the next week or so.
At the height of the morning storm yesterday and within a ½ hour of shift change, four calls for service came into Northwest Central Dispatch for the Buffalo Grove Fire Department within minutes of each other. There were two ambulance calls, a reported transformer fire with extension to a shed, and a working fire in a townhouse. As companies scrambled to each call, the transformer fire was just that and had not extended to the shed, but smoke met firefighters on arrival at a center unit in a four-unit townhouse. The fire was upgraded immediately and companies that were already en-route to the shed fire were rerouted providing quick back-up to first-due units.
Buffalo Grove’s 2010 Ferrara Inferno tower ladder was the first fire suppression unit on the scene and was deployed for the first time at a Buffalo Grove fire.
More images from this fire can be seen HERE.
Another Lake County, MABAS Division 4 department has been added to the site. Formerly known as the Bonnie Brook Fire Protection District, The Beach Park Fire Department covers roughly 14 square miles in northeast Lake County which includes unincorporated areas of the county as well as Beach Park. They do not though currently provide coverage for the entire town of Beach Park as the Winthrop Harbor Fire Department has responsibility for a portion of the town.
According to the Beach Park Village Link Newsletter in the winter of 2003:
The New Beach Park Fire Department
In the last months of 2002, there were plenty of positive changes in the fire protection services for our village. Formerly known as the “Bonnie Brook Fire Protection District”, the name was officially changed to the “Beach Park Fire Department” (BPFD) last November to better define the department’s capabilities and service areas.
Beach Park has a mixture of apparatus in the fleet including Alexis, Pierce, Seagrave, Medtec, and Osage. The newest rig is Engine 1222 which is a 2008 Seagrave Maurauder II engine. Currently, Beach Park Engine 1212, a 2002 HME/Alexis engine is undergoing work at Alexis Fire Apparatus.
In recent Beach Park FD news, they have opened a second station at 13110 W. Major Avenue in Beach Park. This interesting station originated as an existing house with an attached garage. The garage was modified as a lobby and office area and a two-bay addition was then added for the apparatus. At the present time, this station has a crew of two or three which are a jump company, staffing either the engine or ambulance based on the nature of a request for service.
Just when we thought we had a large enough project to undertake … listing each department, each station and every piece of rolling stock in 19 MABAS Divisions … Karl Klotz begins submitting department profiles from a 20th Division, MABAS Division 7 in Kankakee County!
So, we welcome the departments of Division 7 and have posted three of them to get things started.
- The Grant Park Fire Protection District covers 62 square miles from two stations with 32 paid-on-call firefighters and officers. They have three E-ONE rigs, an engine from American LaFrance, plus ambulances from Horton and Road Rescue. They recently opened a new headquarters station which we mentioned HERE.
- In Momence, the fire department covers a whopping 92 square miles with a roster of 35 paid-on-call personnel from one station. They have three engines, a brush rig, two tankers, and a rescue squad. The apparatus was built by E-ONE, Pierce, and 4-Guys, plus one tanker that was built in 1964 by W.S.Darley and re-chassisied in 1989 on a Ford C8000 by Quality Manufacturing. Quality was purchased in 2003 by Spartan and now (with what was Luverne Fire Apparatus) have become what is known as Crimson.