Posts Tagged Bill Friedrich

Palos Fire Protection District history

This from Mike Summa for #TBT:

For TBT- Palos FPD Engine 6323, a 1985 Pierce Dash 1250/750.
Mike Summa
 
Palos FPD history

Mike Summa photo

And from our archives:

Palos FPD history

Bill Friedrich photo

Palos FPD history

Larry Shapiro photo

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Evanston Fire Department history

From Phil Stenholm:

HISTORY OF EVANSTON FIRE DEPARTMENT SQUAD 21

Prior to 1952, the Evanston Fire Department had no squad. EFD Chief Albert Hofstetter wanted to place a squad into service back in the 1930’s, but budget cuts stemming from the Great Depression put that on hold. And so the EFD’s specialized fire-ground support and rescue equipment (including inhalator since 1913) were stored at Fire Station #1 and would be loaded onto an engine and transported to the scene of an incident only when needed.   

1. The First Squad was a 1952 Pirsch 1000-GPM / 100-gallon pumper-squad. One of five rigs purchased by Evanston from Pirsch 1951-52, this was the original Squad 21 from 1952-65, and while it had a 1000-GPM pump, it had no hose bed but there was a “red-line” booster hose reel and 100 gallons of water on board that could be used to extinguish a minor fire. This rig was initially staffed by two firefighters and responded to about 100 inhalator calls city-wide per year from 1952-1959 and to working fires and specialized rescue calls when requested. Inhalators were placed into service with all five engine companies in 1959, so Squad 21 was staffed by just one firefighter (usually the shift mechanic) and responded only to working structure fires and specialized rescue calls when requested 1959-62. It was placed back into front-line service in January 1963 as a four-man company when Truck Co. 23 was taken out of service. It ran as a manpower & rescue company from that point onward, responding to all fire calls (not just working fires) and specialized rescue calls city-wide. It was also the primary inhalator company for Station #1 (keeping Engine 21 available for alarms in the downtown high-value district). Without a hose bed, the 1000-GPM pump was essentially wasted. The original squad body was removed and replaced with a new pumper body in 1966, after-which it ran as Engine 22 from 1966-70 and then as Engine 25 from 1970-76. It was retired and gutted for spare parts in 1980 (there were two other 1952 Pirsch pumpers still in reserve through 1983) and then it became playground equipment at Kamen Park at Asbury & South Blvd. 

Evanston Fire Department history

Bill Friedrich photo

2. The SS-1 of the Evanston Fire Department was a 1965 International / General Body pumper-squad. This rig replaced the 1952 Pirsch pumper-squad so that the Pirsch could be converted into a triple-combination pumper (see above). The work-horse of the Evanston Fire Department between 1966-76, this “Frankenstein” rig was constructed by General Body Co. at their Chicago factory using an International cab & chassis like the ones used by City of Evanston garbage trucks back at that time. General Body (makers of the legendary CFD Autocar squads, the Oscar Mayer “Wienermobile,” bookmobiles, and other specialty vehicles) fabricated the body and put it all together. Included on this rig was a split hose-bed with two leads of pre-connected 1-1/2 hose-lines designed for rapid fire-attack, a heavy-duty front bumper-mounted winch (used mainly to haul vehicles out of Lake Michigan and fire trucks out of snow drifts), extendable quartz lights, and a high-pressure deck gun master-stream nozzle. This version of Squad 21 was staffed by four firefighters and responded to all fire calls (not just working fires) and specialized rescue calls city-wide, as well as to inhalator calls and minor fires (vehicle, trash, prairie, etc) in Station #1’s district.  It was, by far, the busiest company in the EFD the years it was in service, and so new firefighters were often assigned to Squad 21 so they could gain a lot of experience as quickly as possible.    

Evanston Fire Department history

Bill Friedrich photo

3. The Pie Truck – a 1977 Chevrolet / Penn Versatile Van. Known by Evanston firefighters as the “pie truck,” this third version of Squad 21 replaced the 1965 International / General Body squad, mainly because the amount of specialized HazMat, rescue equipment, and dive-team gear added by the EFD in the 1970s exceeded what could be carried on a pumper-squad. Also, Squad 21’s manpower was reassigned to the two MICU ambulances that were placed into service 1976-77, so Squad 21 became an unmanned “jump rig” that was staffed by manpower from Station #1 only when needed  at a working fire, HazMat incident, specialized rescue, dive team call, etc. Thus Squad 21 was no longer the SS-1 of the EFD. It was later reassigned as the Dive Team support truck.  

Evanston Fire Department history

Larry Shapiro photo

4. The Gladiator : A 2006 Spartan Gladiator / Marion “walk-in” heavy-rescue squad. Like the Chevrolet / Penn van that came before it, this newer version of Squad 21 is a “jump rig” at Station #1 and is staffed only when needed, but the 2006 version of Squad 21 can carry  much more equipment than could the Chevy. Besides an air cascade, heavy-duty winch, portable power & lights, and lots of room for specialized equipment and gear, the 2006 Squad 21 also features rehab facilities for extended incidents.   

Evanston Fire Department history

Larry Shapiro photo

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Evanston Fire Department history (more)

More Evanston Fire Department history and apparatus details from Phil Stenholm:

1924 Seagrave 85-ft TDA (Truck 1) at Fire Station #1 on Lake Street circa 1950 :

1924 Seagrave 85' aerial in Evanston IL

Bill Friedrich collection

The five new Pirsch rigs (Truck 21, Truck 22, Engine 21, Squad 21, and Engine 25) lined-up L-R at Fire Station #1 on Lake Street circa 1952: 

Evanston Fire Department history - vintage Peter Pirsch & Sons fire engines

Bill Friedrich collection

1951 Pirsch 85′ TDA (Truck 21 1951-68 and then Reserve Truck 23 1969-79) at Fire Station #3 on Central Street when it was the reserve truck in the 1970’s:

Evanston FD Reserve Truck 23

Bill Friedrich photo

1952 Pirsch 85-ft TDA (Truck 22 1952-79) after it was refurbished in 1969: 

Evanston FD Truck 22

Bill Friedrich photo

1968 Pirsch Senior 100-ft TDA as Truck 22 in the 1980’s (was Truck 21 1969-79) 

Evanston FD Truck 22

Bill Friedrich photo

1968 GMC / Pirsch tractor (ex-Aurora,CO) pulling refurbished 1952 Pirsch 85-ft ladder & trailer (Reserve Truck 23 in the 1980’s) 

Evanston FD Truck 21

Bill Friedrich photo

 

1949 Seagrave 1000 GPM pumper (was Engine 21 1949-1952, then Engine 22 1952-66, then Reserve Engine 26 at Station #5 1966-70)  It was sold to a private individual (Stuart Trock) for use as a party & parade vehicle in 1970 (it was only 21 years old when it was sold). It was was kept in very good condition by Trock and it was in the Evanston 4th of July Parade every year back in the 1970’s and 80’s. 

Evanston Fire Department history

Warren Redick photo

1937 Seagrave 750 GPM pumper (one of two identical pumpers purchased by  Evanston at that time after voters passed a bond issue). It was Engine 3 (later Engine 23) 1938-57 and then it was Reserve Engine 27 at Station #3 1958-70.

Evanston Fire Department history

Warren Redick photo

1937 Seagrave Service 65-ft aerial-ladder truck that was a front-line rig (Truck 2) at Station  #1 1937-1952, and then it became Truck 23 at Station #3 1955-62 (in front-line service), before finally going into reserve (still known as “Truck 23”) 1963-69.  

Evanston Fire Department history

Warren Redick photo

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

New home for Elk Grove Village tower ladder

Bill Freidrich found former Elk Grove FD Tower 7 which is now Lena FPD Tower 3951

former Elk Grove Village fire truck

Bill Freidrich photo

Tags: , ,

Sauk Village Fire Department history

This from Mike Summa for #TBT:

For TBT- Here is Sauk Village’s Snorkel #507, a 1980 Hendrikson/3-D 1250/0/65′.
Mike Summa
65' Snorkel

Sauk Village’s Snorkel #507, a 1980 Hendrikson/3-D 1250/0/65′.
Mike Summa photo

and from our archives:

Sauk Village fire department history

Larry Shapiro photo

Sauk Village fire department history

Bill Friedrich photo

Sauk Village fire department history

Larry Shapiro photo

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Annual Chicago Fire Engine Rally & Swap Meet

a few quick highlights from the 2018 Annual Chicago Fire Engine Rally & Swap Meet

antique Chicago FWD tractor-drawn aerial ladder truck

Steve Redick photo

antique Chicago FWD tractor-drawn aerial ladder truck

Steve Redick photo

antique Chicago FWD tractor-drawn aerial ladder truck

Bill Friedrich photo

Tags: , , , ,

Evergreen Park FD history

From Bill Friedrich for #TBT

Evergreen Park Truck 32 – 1956 Pirsch 750/250 65′ mid-mount aerial

1956 Pirsch 65' mid-mount aerial quint

Evergreen Park Truck 32 – 1956 Pirsch 750/250 65′ mid-mount aerial. Bill Friedich photo

1956 Pirsch 65' mid-mount aerial quint

Evergreen Park Truck 32 – 1956 Pirsch 750/250 65′ mid-mount aerial. Bill Friedrich photo

Tags: , , , , , ,

Leyden FPD history

This from the Chicagoareafire.com database for #TBT:

1949 Ford Darley fire engine

Bill Freidrich collection

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Robbins Fire Department history

Something different today for #throwbackthursday, a look at several rigs acquired in the past by the Robbins Fire Department that previously served other area departments

Robbins FD Engine 2943 formerly used in York Center FPD

Bill Friedrich photo

Robbins FD Snorkel 2904 formerly used in Frankfort and Geneva IL

Bill Friedrich photo

Robbins FD Squad 2905 formerly used in Barrington

Bill Friedrich photo

Robbins FD Engine 2913

Bill Friedrich photo

Robbins FD Squad 2915 formerly used in McCook

Bill Friedrich photo

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Fire service loses a good friend, George Reichhardt

George ReichardtGeorge C. Reichhardt,

It is with great sadness that we mention the loss of a friend. George Reichhardt served with the East Joliet Fire Protection District, retired as a captain with the Fermilab Fire Department, and was a lifelong fire service enthusiast. George spent many years documenting new and old apparatus from area fire departments with other photographers.

George C. Reichhardt 77, of Joliet, passed away Sunday, January 14, 2018 at Adventist GlenOaks Hospital, Glendale Heights. George was born in Joliet to the late Charles F. and Catherine M. (nee Briski) Reichhardt. Survived by his daughter Julie K. Reichhardt; a brother Donald J. (Barbara) Reichhardt and a sister Katherine Sheck; he is also survived by step-children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, nieces, nephews, and many beloved friends. He was preceded in death by his parents and a granddaughter Christina A. Bourg. George was a founding member of Fire Buffs of Illinois, he was a member of HOIFEC (Heart of Illinois Fire Enthusiasts and Collectors), SPAAMFAA (Society for the Preservation and Appreciation of Antique Motor Fire Apparatus in America), International Fire Photographers Association, Reichhardt Raiders, and Blitz Brothers. He was employed as a firefighter at the Army Ammunition Plant, East Joliet Fire Protection District, Fermilab, and Rockdale Fire Protection District. He was also a FAE Instructor and MABAS 15 Fire Photographer. His hobbies included photographing fire trucks, fires, trains, towboats, collecting fire memorabilia, and he really enjoyed riding Chicago Squad 3 in the early days. His publications include: Fire Apparatus Photo Album of the Ford Tilt Cabs – The Visiting Fireman, 1985 (Editor) and Darley Fire Apparatus – The Visiting Fireman, 1987 (Editor). George also received numerous awards and certificates throughout his career. The family will receive friends at Kurtz Memorial Chapel 102 E. Frances Rd, New Lenox on Thursday, January 18, 2018 from 2:00pm until time of services at 8:00pm. A fire department walk through will begin at 7PM.

 

Funeral arrangements for George Reichhardt

George Reichhardt Bell Ceremony

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,