Posts Tagged Ward LaFrance

CFD Apparatus History – Ward LaFrance (1969)

Chicago received two Ward LaFrance engines in 1969. Both Model P80 units had 1,000-GPM pumps and 500-gallon water tanks. One was assigned to Engine 45 (D-347) and the other to Engine 83 (D-358). Engine 83’s unit was later assigned as a spare R-2.

Chicago Fire Department 1969 Ward LaFrance Model P80 Ambassador engine 83

Chicago Engine 83 was assigned a 1969 Ward LaFrance Model P80 engine with an Ambassador cab. One of only two units built in 1969 for the city. Jack Connors photo

This engine featured a cab that was similar to the 1,000-GPM engine purchased in 1967 without the extended bumper, and no floodlights were on this series. Unlike the 1967 unit though, these  had a bell mounted under the officer’s windshield and a siren in the center of the cab’s face.

Tags: , , , , , ,

CFD Apparatus History – Ward LaFrance (1967)

In 1967, the Chicago Fire Department was badly in need of new engines. They looked to Ward LaFrance for assistance in acquiring what they had available. Chicago received four engines. One was assigned to Engine 42 (D-327) with a 1,000-GPM pump and 500 gallons of water. (this would later be re-assigned to Engine 46)

Chicago Fire Department history Ward LaFrance 1967 Engine

Engine 42 was assigned this 1967 Ward LaFrance with a 1,000-GPM pump and 500-gallon tank. Initially, the unit numbers were fairly small on the driver's door. George Brown collection

Chicago Fire Department history Ward LaFrance 1967 Engine

The officer's side of Engine 42's 1967 Ward LaFrance engine when it was delivered. Jack Connors photo

Chicago Fire Department history Ward LaFrance 1967 Engine 46

Shop #D-327 was later reassigned to Engine Company 46. Large company number decals were added to the engine. Jack Connors photo

The other three units were delivered with 1,250-GPM pumps and 350-gallon water tanks and were assigned to Engine 34 (D-332), Engine 54 (D-333), and Engine 11 (D-334).

Chicago Fire Department history Ward LaFrance 1967 Engine 34

Engine 34 received one of three 1967 Ward LaFrance pumpers with the larger 1,250-GPM pump and a smaller water tank. This image was taken after the shops added white decals that made the company unit number easier to read. Jack Connors photo

These units differed from the first piece that went to Engine 42. The body is taller, the pump panel has a polished backing instead of being painted and there are no flood lights. The cab has several different features including an extended bumper with a bell, siren, and front intake. The cab face underneath the windshield is covered with a panel to protect the paint from being scratched. Additionally, the rear of the cab canopy has a completely different shape than the earlier and subsequently later styles as well.

Chicago Fire Department history Ward LaFrance 1967 Engine 54

This shot of Engine 54 shows the officer's side of the 1,250-GPM series engines from 1967. Jack Connors photo

Shop #D-333 which was originally assigned to Engine 54 was later assigned to Engine 99 and then again to Engine 107. Unlike the other 1,250-GPM engines, this rig was delivered with one flood light.

Chicago Fire Department history Ward LaFrance 1967 Engine 98

CFD Shop #D-334 was originally assigned to Engine 11 and then to Engine 98 as shown here. Note also the CFD scramble on the lower portion of the driver's door and the company number under the windshield. Jack Connors photo

Chicago Fire Department history Ward LaFrance 1967 Engine 107

CFD Shop #D-334 was assigned for a third time to Engine Company 107. The hard suction trays have been raised to accommodate hose storage on the shelf above the lower compartments. Jack Connors photo

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

CFD Apparatus History – Ward LaFrance (1973)

Part 3 in the series covering Ward LaFrance and the Chicago Fire Department:

In 1973, Chicago received an additional five Ward LaFrance P80 Ambassador engines. Four of these had 1,500-GPM pumps and were assigned to Engine 23 (D-389), Engine 29 (D-390), Engine 57 (D-391), and Engine 67 (D-392). The remaining engine had a 1,750-GPM pump and went to Engine 74 (D-393). All had 500-gallon water tanks.

Engine 74 with the 1,750-GPM pump had several differences in trim design which gave it a different look than the other 1973 models. The pump panel was painted red and did not have the polished panel like the other units. In addition, the wide steel band which wrapped the front doors and cab face of the other units was omitted from Engine 74.

Unlike the units which came in 1970, these engines had the large company numbers relegated to the rear compartment and another number was on the cab face. Also, “Chicago Fire Dept.” was now lettered on both sides of the cab under the jump-seat window as well as on the cab roof over the windshield. The handrail at the back of the cab no longer ran the full width as these engines had a multi-versal that was stored on the roof.

Chicago Fire Department 1973 Ward LaFrance Ambassador P80 engine 23

Chicago Engine 23 was assigned shop #D-389. Steve Redick photo

Chicago Fire Department 1973 Ward LaFrance Ambassador P80 engine 29

This image of Engine 29 shows the officer's side of the 1973 Ward LaFrance Model 80 engines that were built with the Ambassador series cab. Jack Connors photo

Chicago Fire Department Engine 57 1973 Ward LaFrance Ambassador

Engine 57 had one of four 1973 Ward LaFrance Ambassador engines with a 1,500-GPM pump. Larry Shapiro photo

Chicago Fire Department 1973 Ward LaFrance Ambassador P80 engine 67

Engine 67 received one of the five units delivered by Ward LaFrance in 1973. Jack Connors photo

Chicago Fire Department Engine 74 Ward LaFrance

Chicago Engine 74 had a 1973 Ward LaFrance engine that varied slightly from the others. It had a 1,750-GPM pump and slightly different body styling. Larry Shapiro photo

Shop #D-393, the one unit with a 1,750-GPM pump that was originally assigned to Engine Company 74, was later reassigned to Engine 104.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

CFD Apparatus History – Ward LaFrance trucks (1970)

Part 2 in the series on CFD Ward LaFrance apparatus in Chicago discusses the Grove aerials. Bill Friedrich submitted the following information:
There were a total of (5) WLF P80/Grove 100-foot rear-mount aerials ordered.  Companies that received these were Truck 12 (E-183), Truck 34 (E-184), Truck 21 (E-185), Truck 18 (E-186), and Truck 7 (E-187). These were delivered with booster reels that were removed from Trucks 12 & 18.
Chicago Fire Department 1970 Ward LaFrance/Grove 100' rear mount aerial.

Chicago Truck 18 shown here with their 1970 Ward LaFrance/Grove 100' rear mount aerial. Bill Friedrich photo

Chicago Fire Department Truck 12 1970 Ward LaFrance Grove aerial

Truck 12 also had one of the 100-foot Grove aerials with a Ward LaFrance Ambassador cab and chassis. As shown here, the booster reel has been removed. Larry Shapiro photo

Chicago Fire Department Ward LaFrance Ambassador Grove aerial

Chicago Truck 7 at the fire academy when it was ready to go in service. The booster reel is visible above the ground ladders. Jack Connors photo

Chicago Fire Department Ward LaFrance Ambassador Grove aerial

Truck 34 during a fire prevention week parade on State Street. Jack Connors photo

Chicago Fire Department Ward LaFrance Ambassador Grove aerial

Truck 21's apparatus (E-185) was later assigned to Truck 39. Jack Connors photo

Truck 21’s unit was later reassigned to Truck 39, and Truck 7’s unit was reassigned to Truck 61.

Chicago Fire Department Ward LaFrance Ambassador Grove aerial

Truck Company 61 was assigned the unit that was previously Truck 7. Jack Connors photo

Chicago Fire Department Ward LaFrance Ambassador Grove aerial

This unit (Shop #E-185) was given to Truck 39 after it saw service as Truck 21. The booster reel as seen in the image of Truck 21 was removed prior to the re-assignment to Truck 39. Jack Connors photo

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Newport Township FPD historic gallery is added

In MABAS Division 4, a historic photo gallery has been added for the Newport Township Fire Protection District. The gallery contains 48 images from the collections of Bill Friedrich, Jeff Rudolph, and Larry Shapiro dating back to 1953. Rigs are featured from Pirsch, Ward LaFrance, Pierce, Welch, and Mack including the first ambulance for the district.

Newport Township Fire Protection District

from the collection of Jeff Rudolph

Newport Township Fire Protection District

from the collection of Bill Friedrich

Newport Township Fire Protection District

from the collection of Bill Friedrich

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

South Chicago Heights photo history

In MABAS Division 27, an historical gallery has been added for the South Chicago Heights Fire Department. Currently, the gallery features 15 images including a reproduction of a photo showing the original fire station from the early 1900s.

South Chicago Heights Fire Department history

This copy of an old photo from Bill Friedrich shows the original South Chicago Heights fire station with an engine that we have no information about.

South Chicago Heights Fire Department history Dan Martin

This photo by the late Dan Martin shows a 1950 Mack Type 45 in a local parade.

South Chicago Heights Fire Department history

This beautiful rig was one of two Hi-Ranger aerials in the metropolitan Chicago area outside of the CFD. It would be great to add an image to the gallery of this unit working at a fire!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Unique Station 2 for Newport Township

In Wadsworth, IL on the north end of Lake County, the Newport Township Fire Protection District covers 33 square miles with one main station off of Wadsworth Road just east of US 41. This station is packed full with a tanker, two engines, a pumper squad, two ambulances, a utility, staff car, ATV, and brush unit. In order to provide better response times to the northern edge of their district, the FPD rents a portion of a barn on the property of Doug Reno, who is one of their members.

Newport Township FPD Station 2

The Newport Township FPD rents out this portion of a building on the property of Doug Reno at 42874 Delaney Road in Zion. Larry Shapiro photo

Newport Township Fire Protection District auxilary building

The crane truck is stored in this building on a neighbor's farm. Larry Shapiro photo

Doug is also a collector of fire engines in his own right and has several pieces of equipment of his own housed there and on yet another neighbor’s property with additional Newport apparatus. First things first though, the Newport apparatus includes …

Newport Township FPD Mack engine 141 X-Ligonier, PA

Newport Township FPD Mack engine drafting from Lake Michigan in Winthrop Harbor

In the winter of 2008 at a 4-11 alarm fire in Winthrop Harbor, Engine 1413 drafted for the better part of a day out of Lake Mighigan. Larry Shapiro photo

Newport Township FPD Mack engine drafting from Lake Michigan at a Winthrop Harbor fire

Here's another view of the drafting operation with the fire in the background. That's Doug Reno trying to keep warm in the cab of the engine. Larry Shapiro photo

  • A 1977 CF Mack engine that carries 4,000 feet of 4″ hose. Unlike the other Newport rigs, this one has a black roof on the cab. It previously saw service in Ligonier, PA and was purchased  through the generosity of two department members.
  • A 1951 Willy’s Jeep parade piece with a 100-GPM front mounted pump and a 150-gallon water tank
  • A decommissioned and beautifully restored, 1969 Dodge Power Wagon W-300 which used to be the department’s brush rig
  • A 1981 R-Model Mack box truck ‘Heavy Rescue’ unit which carries TRT supplies
  • A 1988 R-Model Mack flatbed with a 6,000# knuckle boom crane which carries a trench box or, when it acts as a foam tender for the Quad 2 ARFF unit, it carries bulk foam
Newport Township FPD Dodge Power Wagon

Doug’s collection includes:

Wadsworth OH Ward LaFrance Ambassador engine

This engine is owned by Doug Reno ... just outside of Wadsworth, IL. The engine is from Wadsworth, OH. There is no Wadsworth Fire Department in Illinois as the town is covered by the Newport Fire Protection District. Larry Shapiro photo

  • A 1975 Ward LaFrance Ambassador engine labeled for the Wadsworth Fire Department (OH) with a 1,250-GPM pump and 500-gallon water tank sn 80-1129
  • A 1971 CF Mack engine that was refurbished in 1987 by Pierce for the Geneva, IL Fire Department in Kane County
  • A CF Mack engine from Duncannon, PA
Personal fire truck collection of Doug Reno

These are two of Doug's engines. They're stored in one end of the building which also houses Newport's crane truck 1455. Larry Shapiro photo

Geneva, IL Fire Department Mack CF Pierce engine

Geneva, IL (Kane County) had this 1971 Mack CF656 1000-GPM pumper refurbished by Pierce in 1987. Larry Shapiro photo

Geneva Fire Department Mack CF engine

The Geneva Mack/Pierce engine today as part of Doug Reno's collection. Larry Shapiro photo

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,