Archive for category Firefighting Video

4-Alarm house fire for Newport Township FPD 10-24-13 (more)

A video by Larry Shapiro from yesterday’s 4-Alarm house fire in Wadsworth.

Share/Save

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

2-Alarm fire in Deer Park, IL 10-3-13

This from Larry Shapiro:

The Lake Zurich FD received a call at 5:30AM reporting flames from a large house in Deer Park. The home, which has been vacant for several years had fire showing from the flat roof on arrival of the first companies. Located in an area without hydrants, a tanker shuttle was initiated after the first-due engine attempted to hit the fire with tank water via the deck gun.

A 2nd alarm was requested for additional tankers. large diameter hose was dropped from Cuba Road to the house, spanning the better part of a block. Fire damaged the roof and attic.

Deer Park house fire Lake Zurich Fire Department

Larry Shapiro photo

Deer Park house fire Lake Zurich Fire Department

Larry Shapiro photo

Deer Park house fire Lake Zurich Fire Department

Larry Shapiro photo

Deer Park house fire Lake Zurich Fire Department

Larry Shapiro photo

Deer Park house fire Lake Zurich Fire Department

Larry Shapiro photo

Deer Park house fire Lake Zurich Fire Department

Larry Shapiro photo

Deer Park house fire Lake Zurich Fire Department

Larry Shapiro photo

Deer Park house fire Lake Zurich Fire Department

Larry Shapiro photo

Deer Park house fire Lake Zurich Fire Department

Larry Shapiro photo

Deer Park house fire Lake Zurich Fire Department

Larry Shapiro photo

Deer Park house fire Lake Zurich Fire Department

Larry Shapiro photo

Deer Park house fire Lake Zurich Fire Department

Photo by Vince Clemens

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Glenview box alarm for high-rise fire 9-11-13 (more)

The Chicago Tribune has an article stating that the high-rise fire at 3925 Triumvera Drive on 9-11-13 was caused by cigarettes.

Cigarettes sparked the fire in Glenview last week from which a mother and her 14-year-old son had to be rescued, according to authorities.

“The cause of fire was smoking, misplaced cigarettes,” said Glenview Fire Chief Wayne Globerger.

The blaze broke out in a bedroom of a man’s apartment at around 12:30 a.m. Sept. 11, on the ninth floor of a high-rise condo building at 3925 Triumvera Drive. About 40 firefighters worked to extinguish the fire, evacuating every resident from the 16-story building, Globerger said.

Glenbrook South High School student Sungwon Choi and his mother were stuck on a balcony of their apartment, which was adjacent to the fire, and had to be rescued via a 100-foot ladder. The blaze was put out in minutes, and no one needed treatment at a hospital. But the fire caused about $500,000 in damage to the building, mainly affecting two units on the ninth floor and one on the eighth floor, Globerger said.

Most of the residents of the building are back in their apartments, but for some it may take months before their condominiums are livable once again.

Larry Shapiro also posted this short video of the fire scene

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Chicago 4-11 Alarm fire 9-11-13 (more)

More from Steve Redick on the 4-11 Alarm fire from Wednesday night

Sept 11, 3710 S California
Large industrial building, several hundred feet long, mainly loaded with pallets. very difficult access, embankments, trucking yards, fences, grade level differences and poor water supply and many dead end mains.  I arrived between the 2 and 3-11 … The original portion of the building was consumed and there werew still some pallets burning … squad 1 and TL54 had been repositioned and it seemed like the incident was winding down … these shots were my initial view of conditions, but I was only looking at a small portion of the complex …

Chicago Fire Department

Steve Redick photo

Chicago Fire Department

Steve Redick photo

Chicago Fire Department

Steve Redick photo

Chicago Fire Department

Steve Redick photo

Chicago Fire Department

Steve Redick photo

Chicago Fire Department

Steve Redick photo

A gallery with more images can be viewed HERE.

Tags: , , , , ,

5-Alarm fire in Quincy destroys vacant hotel

The Quincy Herald-Whig has an article with video and images of a fire that destroyed a vacant hotel that the city was hoping to have renovated to revitalize the downtown area.

Quincy Fire Department

Phil Carlson photo

The Newcomb Hotel was destroyed in a devastating five-alarm fire Friday night. Firefighers were expected to remain at the scene through the morning. Flames shot out of the roof, and firefighters were pulled back in case of collapse.

Firefighters initially entered the building to extinguish a fire on the second floor on the west side of the former hotel, which opened in March 1888. However, they were unable to contain the blaze. At 9 p.m. firefighters were battling heavy flames in the three-story addition on the east side that partially collapsed during an April storm. Eventually flames overtook the main building, as well.

The city appeared to have turned a corner on the long-vacant building.  Last week, the city agreed to enter negotiations with an Iowa developer to potentially renovate the building into market-rate apartments. The city was also trying to foreclose on the property, which is owned by Skokie developer Victor Horowitz after he failed to pay off a $500,000 loan he received from the city in 2003.

“I’m nauseous,” said Travis Brown, executive director of the Historic Quincy Business District, who stood at Fourth and Maine looking at the burning building. “This is the closest we’ve come in the five years I’ve been here. We finally get to enter negotiations with a legitimate developer who is eager to do the building, and right before we start the negotiations, you see flames coming out the side of it.”

Quincy Fire Chief Joe Henning said about 30 firefighters were battling the fire and most were expected to be on the scene throughout the night. He said firefighters’ biggest concern as the hotel burned was keeping the flames out of the Gardner Museum on the west side of Fourth Street. He said crews were on the roof of the Lincoln-Douglas Apartment building at the northwest corner of Fourth and Maine, keeping an eye on that building, as well. Residents of the apartments were evacuated to the Quincy Senior and Family Resource Center, 639 York.

“This is one of those buildings we don’t take risks in,” Henning said.

Quincy Fire Department

Michael Kipley photo

Quincy Fire Department

Phil Carlson photo

Quincy Fire Department

Phil Carlson photo

A gallery with more images can be found HERE.

Quincy Herald-Whig | Illinois

 

thanks Patrick

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Mt. Zion house fire 9-4-13 helmet cam

Chris Ranck found this helmet cam video from a basement fire in Mt. Zion, IL on 9-4-13 (on Havenwood Court)

Tags: , , , , ,

2nd Alarm house fire in Hawthorn Woods 8-17-13 (more)

Larry Shapiro posted a video of the Hawthorn Woods 2nd alarm fire from last Saturday.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Long Grove house fire 8-19-13 (more)

The Buffalo Grove Countryside has an article about yesterday’s fire in Long Grove which includes several photos taken by one of the residents during the fire.

Also, a video by Larry Shapiro.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Chicago 2-11 Alarm fire 8-3-13 (more)

video from Steve Redick from the 2-11 Alarm fire at 3249 W. Harrison

Tags: , , , , ,

St. Louis house fire 7-25-13

Chris Ranck found this video of a house fire in south St. Louis on July 25, 2013.

Tags: , , , , ,