Posts Tagged Argonne National Laboratory Fire Department

New engine for Argonne National Labs FD

Sutphen drawing of new engine for the Argonne National Laboratory Fire Department

Sutphen drawing of new engine for the Argonne National Laboratory Fire Department

click on the drawing to download a larger copy

Tags: , ,

3-Alarm fire in Hinsdale, 4-11-18

Hinsdale FD had a 3-alarm fire in a house at 329 E. 6th Street 4/11/18. Tim Olk photo

3-Alarm house fire in Hinsdale

Tim Olk photo

Pleasantview FPD truck at fire scene

Tim Olk photo

Pleasantview FPD truck at fire scene

Tim Olk photo

3-Alarm house fire in Hinsdale

Tim Olk photo

3-Alarm house fire in Hinsdale

Tim Olk photo

Oak Brook FD engine at fire scene

Tim Olk photo

3-Alarm house fire in Hinsdale

Tim Olk photo

3-Alarm house fire in Hinsdale

Daniel Hynd photo

Tri-State FPD fire engine

Daniel Hynd photo

Argonne Fire Department squad

Daniel Hynd photo

3-Alarm house fire in Hinsdale

Daniel Hynd photo

Oak Brook FD Squad93

Daniel Hynd photo

3-Alarm house fire in Hinsdale

Daniel Hynd photo

Tags: , , , , , , ,

As seen around … Lockport

This from Mike Lopina:

Photo of Argonne Ambulance 114 change of quarters to Lockport Station 1 Friday morning due to a full still house fire on Box 1-H located at 1001 Cove St in Lockport.

2011 Ford F-450/Wheeled Coach
2011 Argonne FD Ambulance 114 Ford F-450/Wheeled Coach

Mike Lopina photo

Tags: , , , , ,

New area apparatus orders

This from the Fire Service, Inc FaceBook page:

Congratulations and Thank You to Village of Glencoe Public Safety Department in Glencoe, IL for the purchase of a E-ONE Typhoon rescue pumper. Delivery in 300 days.

Congratulations and Thank You to Argonne Laboratory Fire Department in Lemont, IL for the purchase of a E-ONE Typhoon rescue pumper. Delivery in 60 days.

Tags: , , , ,

New ambulance for Argonne Labs

This from Drew Gresik:

Argonne National Lab FD received their new ambulance. Ambulance 115 should be a 2012-13 Ford F-450/Wheeled Coach Type I Ambulance. Here’s a shot of by Dylan Gresik it in service at the Lyons Box.
Drew Gresik
Wheeled Coach Type I ambulance

Ambulance 115 from the Argonne National Laboratory Fire Department. Dylan Gresik photo

Tags: , , , ,

Argonne Labs added to the site

Argonne Labs Fire Department patchThe Argonne Laboratory Fire Department has been added to the MABAS Division 10 departments. Argonne had one station on the campus

From the Argonne website:

Argonne National Laboratory, located just outside of Chicago, is one of the U.S. Department of Energy’s largest national laboratories for scientific and engineering research. Our over 1,250 scientists and engineers aim to solve the nation’s  most important challenges in energy, the environmentand national security.

The Fire Department consists of 25 career personnel who maintain two ambulances, two engines, a heavy squad, a brush unit, the MABAS Division 10 Decon Unit, and a battalion. The suppression apparatus are all E-ONE and the ambulances are from Wheeled Coach. There is a new ambulance from Wheeled Coach currently on order which will match Ambulance 114.

Argonne Labs Fire Department Rescue Squad

Argonne Labs Fire Station

The fire station at the Argonne Laboratory campus. Larry Shapiro photo

The trailer for the Decon Unit was recently upgrade with new paint and signage on the outside, plus a new generator and other upgrades to the interior mechanics. Argonne personnel are responsible for maintaining the unit and bringing it to incidents when requested.

MABAS Division 10 Decon Unit

Tags: , , , , ,

New units coming to area departments

The following departments have new units on order:

  • Niles ordered a Pierce Dash CF engine
  • Evanston ordered a Pierce Arrow XT engine
  • Lemont is awaiting delivery of a Ford/Medtec Type I ambulance
  • Argonne Labs is awaiting delivery of a Ford/Wheeled Coach Type I ambulance

Chris R wants readers to know that the show EMERGENCY is on tv at  4:00 pm on METV channel 60.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

The color of fire trucks (part 10) Division 10

Departments in MABAS Division 10 are featured in this next installment of The Color of Fire Trucks series.

Clarendon Hills Fire Department Mack Pierce TeleSqurt

Clarendon Hills ran this 1986 50′ TeleSqurt built by Pierce on a Mack CF chassis. Engine 349 had a 1,500-GPM pump and carried 500 gallons of water. Larry Shapiro photo

The Clarendon Hills Fire Department runs with apparatus that is painted white over a bright yellow. They currently have a fleet of four units with these colors.

Darien-Woodridge Fire Protection District engine

One of several E-ONE units purchased by the Darien-Woodridge FPD was this 1990 top-mount Hurricane engine with 1,000 gallons of water and a 1,500-GPM pump. It ran as Engine 371. Larry Shapiro photo

The Darien-Woodridge Fire Protection District currently runs with red and white apparatus. Their newest unit is solid red, and with this purchase they will retire one of the last of their lime-green apparatus which dominated their fleet for many years.

Riverside Fire Department green fire engine

Riverside Engine 306 ran with this 1978 Ford C-8000/Seagrave. It had a 1,250-GPM pump and 750 gallons of water. Bill Friedrich photo

The Riverside FD had this Seagrave engine and they also purchased another lime green rig. The second unit was a Chevy/E-ONE (DOT) light rescue, like the one shown below from Forest View.
Forest View Fire Department EONE small rescue

Forest View ran with one of the popular small DOT spec rescue squads like many other area departments. Squad 816 was built by E-ONE in 1980 on a GMC chassis. Bill Friedrich photo

The Forest View FD purchased this (DOT) light rescue. It was the only non-red rig in the fleet.
Hinsdale Fire Department EONE engine painted black and yellow

One of many units that has been purchased over the years for service in Hinsdale was this 1982 E-ONE Protector IV engine. Running as Engine 343, it was built on a Hendrickson chassis with an 1871-W cab, and carried 500 gallons of water with a 1,250-GPM pump. Larry Shapiro photo

Until 2008, all of the apparatus in the Hinsdale Fire Department was delivered black over yellow, and with the exception of their 2008 Spartan/Rosenbauer/Metz tower ladder, everything still maintains these colors.
Westmont Fire Department Pemfab Wedge engine by FTI

The Westmont Fire Department purchased this white and lime engine from FTI in 1978. It featured a 1,250-GPM pump with 500 gallons of water. It was built on a Pemfab chassis with their ‘wedge’ (Model 932-T) cab. Bill Friedrich photo

Westmont’s Fire Department had only this one non-red rig in the fleet.
Willow Springs Fire Department black E-ONE tower ladder

Willow Springs purchased this unusual 95′ tower ladder from E-ONE in 2001. Painted black, tower 600 had a 1,500-GPM pump with 300 gallons of water on a Cyclone chassis. Bill Friedrich photo

Willow Springs had this unique E-ONE tower ladder that was black. Reportedly, a developer was to build a large project in Willow Springs and was required to purchase an aerial unit for the fire department. The developer insisted on the tower being painted black.
Argonne national Laboratory Fire Department

The Argonne Labs Fire Department put together this brush rig with a 1975 IHC pickup. Brush 75 had a 70-GPM pump and a 250-gallon water tank. Bill Friedrich photo

Argonne Laboratory FD built their own brush truck. It was the only non-red in the fleet.
Western Springs Fire Department Pierce Arrow engine white fire truck

One of the many units that saw service in Western Springs when their apparatus was painted white was this 1981 Pierce Arrow engine. It was one of the early Pierce Arrow models with a chassis that was made by Oshkosh. Engine 437 had a 1,500-GPM pump with 750 gallons of water. The top-mount control station featured a hand-rail due to the large and spacious area.At this point in time, Pierce was building the cab and body. It wasn’t until later that they began to assemble the entire chassis. Larry Shapiro photo

The current Western Springs Fire Department apparatus is red and white although previously their units were all white with blue and gold trim.
Romeoville Fire Department white rescue squad

The only unit that the Romeoville Fire Department has run with that was not red was this 1979 E-ONE (DOT) light-duty rescue on a Ford F-350 chassis. Perhaps what is most unusual about this is that these were normally delivered lime green. Bill Friedrich photo

Romeoville had a white light-duty rescue by E-ONE. Most of these units were delivered lime green as per the DOT spec.

McCook Fire Department yellow Seagrave engine

This was one of two Seagrave engines that was purchased by the McCook Fire Department and was painted yellow. Engine 379, built in 1979, had 500 gallons of water with a 1,250-GPM pump. Bill Friedrich photo

Many years ago, the McCook Fire Department had red apparatus, then they switched to bright yellow for several years before the fleet was changed again to red and white.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Fleet changes for Darien-Woodridge FPD

When the new aerial goes into service for the Darien-Woodridge FPD, it will culminate a large change in their fleet. Four units are or will be sold from the current roster. These include:

  • Truck 619 – 1992 Federal Motors Hurricane/EONE 1500/500 75′ quint
Darien-Woodridge FPD Truck 619

Darien-Woodridge Truck 619 as it looks today. Larry Shapiro photo

Darien-Woodridge FPD Truck 374

Darien-Woodridge Truck 374 as it looked shortly after delivery. Larry Shapiro photo

  • Squad 616 – 1984 Ford C8000/1985 EONE 250/250 MDR
Darien-Woodridge FPD EONE squad

Darien-Woodridge Squad 616 which is being sold. Karl Klotz photo

  • Engine 611 – 1990 EONE Cyclone 1500/1000
Darien-Woodridge Engine 611

Darien-Woodridge Engine 611 as it currently looks. Larry Shapiro photo

Darien-Woodridge FPD Engine 375

The 1990 EONE Cyclone engine when it was delivered as Engine 375. Larry Shapiro photo

Belmont Fire Protection District Oshkosh Howe engine

The Belmont Fire Protection District 1949 Oshkosh Howe engine. Bill Friedrich photo

Belmont Fire Protection District Oshkosh Howe engine

Another view of the Belmont Fire Protection District Oshkosh Howe engine. Bill Friedrich photo

Bill Friedrich provided this history on the How engine:

On Sunday 5/6/12, Belmont FPD Engine 388 was loaded onto a transport trailer for the final response to the Andy Leiderer fire truck museum in NY State. Grandma, as the engine was known, started its career in the Chicagoland area at the Oak Lawn FD in 1949. Later it was sold to the Argonne Labs FD in Darien. It is unknown when or how the Belmont FPD in Downers Grove acquired this vehicle. Even after the Darien-Woodridge FPD took over the Belmont station, Grandma still carried the Belmont lettering. Here is  a link to a video that shows the new home for Grandma.

 

Belmont Fire Protection District Oshkosh Howe engine

Belmont Engine 388 begins it's final journey. Bill Friedrich photo

Belmont Fire Protection District Oshkosh Howe engine

Engine 388 being secured to the lowboy trailer. Bill Friedrich photo

 

Belmont Fire Protection District Oshkosh Howe engine

The plaque on the engine. Bill Friedrich photo

Bill adds that:

The Pirsch that is also on the trailer is an x-Milwaukee FD pumper that a private collector in Hudson,WI sold to the museum.

Belmont Fire Protection District Oshkosh Howe engine

Belmont Engine 388 departing Darien-Woodridge Station 2 for the last time. Bill Friedrich photo

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Braceville Fire Department history added

Bill Friedrich has submitted 17 images of apparatus which document much of the history of the Braceville Fire Department in MABAS Division 15. These images are assembled with those previously submitted by Karl Klotz to produce a gallery with 21 images dating back to 1959.

Many of the rigs that Braceville has used saw previous service with other departments including Braidwood, Argonne Labs, Flossmoor, Lyondell Chemical (Quantum Chemicals), Homer Township, Northbrook, and the Oneida Wataga FPD. Apparatus manufacturers represented include Alexis, John Bean, Road Rescue, Horton, Pierce, Darley, Welch, and Pirsch.

Braceville Fire Department historic photo

This 1959 Chevy/Alexis engine carried 500 gallons of water and had a 500-GPM front mounted pump. Bill Friedrich photo

Braceville Fire Department historic photo Northbrook Fire Department

This 1989 Road Rescue ambulance saw previous service in Northbrook. Bill Friedrich photo

Braceville Fire Department historic photo

This beautiful 1965 Pirsch was rehabbed in 1980 by Pierce. It originally saw service with Argonne Labs. Bill Friedrich photo

Argonne Labs Fire Department 1965 Pirsch squad

The 1965 Pirsch squad as it originally looked when it was in service for the Argonne National Laboratory Fire Department as Engine 2. Bill Friedrich photo

Quantum Chemical Company 1979 Seagrave/Pierce 54' Squrt

This unit, shown here in service for the Quantum Chemical Company was acquired by the Braceville Fire Department several years ago. It has now been retired from Braceville and is on the roster in Dana, IL. Bill Friedich photo

Flossmoor Fire Department 1973 Ford Darley engine

Braceville purchased this engine from the Flossmoor Fire Department and has since retired it. The unit can be seen decorated for Braceville in the historic gallery. Bill Friedrich photo

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,