Tragic discovery by Highland Park FD lieutenant

Excerpts from the

A north suburban couple was found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning by their son, a firefighter, on Monday morning.

The Highland Park Fire Dept. lieutenant went to visit his parents at their home about 8 a.m. Monday and found his father unresponsive on the main floor. He immediately began CPR and called for an ambulance. His mother was found unresponsive in an upstairs bedroom. Both were pronounced dead at the scene.

It appears the elder Fontanini heard the alarm on the carbon monoxide detector, and found that the family car, which has a keyless ignition, was running in the attached garage.

He opened the overheard garage door to alleviate the fumes, but  “tragically it was too late as the high levels of carbon monoxide were affecting him,” a statement from police said.

An investigation found extremely high levels of carbon monoxide throughout the home, police said.

Tags: ,


  • #1 by harry on June 18, 2015 - 9:38 PM

    to the fontanini family sorry for your loss that had to be the hardest 911 call this lieutenant will ever make that is a true loss that is a call that no ff ever wants to make stay strong

  • #2 by Andy Smith on June 18, 2015 - 5:07 PM

    My sincerest condolences to the Fontanini family.

Comments are closed.