This from the Des Plaines Patch:

A fire that erupted in a garage attached to a house early Saturday morning displaced the two Des Plaines residents who live there. The two occupants and their family cat, which was rescued by firefighters from the basement of the house, received housing assistance from the city’s emergency management agency, according to a report from the Des Plaines Fire Department, because the house was uninhabitable following the fire.

The Des Plaines Fire Department responded to the fire report at 256 Kathleen Drive at 2:02 a.m. on Dec. 8, according to the report, arrived on the scene at 2:07 a.m. and the fire was extinguished within 20 minutes of their arrival on the scene.

The residents heard a noise in the garage, the fire department stated, and when one of the residents opened the door from the living space to the garage, suffered a slight burn to one hand and found the fire. They exited the house and called 9-1-1, according to the report.

The resident who was burned was evaluated by paramedics, the fire department stated, and released on the scene with no treatment needed.

Firefighters rescued the family cat from the basement, according to the report, and gave it oxygen using a mask designed for pets.

The article and photos can be found HERE.

thanks Steve