On Saturday, January 29, The Fire Museum of Greater Chicago, located at 5218 S Western Ave., officially opened. The museum is housed at a firehouse built in 1916 for Chicago Fire Department Engine Co. 123. They occupied this firehouse from 1916 through 1973.  An estimated 60-70 people visited on opening day. There was a preview of the museum that was offered to the public last year.

The exhibits include hand-drawn, horse-drawn, and early motorized apparatus to the 20th Century.  The museum artifacts not only chronicle Chicago, but many of the suburban departments that make up the Chicagoland area. One of the many highlights on display is a 1923 Ahrens-Fox 750-GPM engine that was first assigned to Engine Co. 40 before being reassigned to Engine Co. 98. It was nearly destroyed in 1934 when Engine 98 responded to the Stockyards and was caught in the fire.  The fire department shops rebuilt the engine and gave it back to 98. It’s last assignment was to Engine Co. 70.

The museum will be open the last Saturday of every month from 10am – 2pm. Please come out and enjoy the many displays and the great history that this museum has to offer.

[book id=’2′ /]

Denis McGuire, Jr. submitted images from the opening

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,