Excerpts from the ChicagoTribune.com:

Elgin firefighters called to a home in the 400 block of Sadler Avenue about 6:40 p.m. Sunday found heavy smoke upon arrival. Initial reports indicated two people were in the mobile home but it was determined the second resident was not home at the time.

A man found by firefighters searching the house  was transported to Presence St. Joseph Hospital in Elgin, where he was pronounced dead. The Kane County Coroner’s Office is investigating the death. Two dogs perished in the fire.

The fire was ruled accidental after officials determined that heat tape being used to prevent pipes from freezing overheated. Elgin fire investigators received assistance from investigators from the Illinois State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Damage to the mobile home was estimated at $30,000, with additional losses to personal property.

thanks Dan