Excerpts from the ChicagoTribune.com:

Wilmette Fire Chief Mike McGreal is crediting sprinklers for keeping a storage room fire at the 15,400-square-foot Wilmette public works garage from potentially engulfing the entire building.

The garage at 711 Laramie Ave. sustained an estimated $15,000 damage in the incident, which came in as an alarm shortly after 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, but the cost could have gone much higher.

He praised village administrators and fire prevention bureau officials who decided a little over eight years ago, at the time the village added an addition to the public works building, to retrofit the garage with a sprinkler system.

McGreal said firefighters found the sprinklers in use and smoke coming out the garage’s main bay … most of the fire was contained to a storage room used by the village’s sewer department.

thanks Dan