Posts Tagged Larry Shapiro

Box alarm fire in Evanston, 1-14-21

Excerpts from the City of Evanston:

On Thursday, January 14, at 1:07 pm, Evanston firefighters responded to the 300 block of Dempster Street for the report of an automatic fire alarm in a residential multi-story structure.

First arriving companies encountered moderate smoke and fire conditions on the third floor. Due to a quick and aggressive offensive attack plus fire sprinkler activation, the fire was extinguished and contained to the unit of origin approximately 10 minutes after crews arrived on scene. 

One middle-aged female was found unresponsive in the apartment, pulseless and non-breathing. Fire crews removed the victim to safety and began resuscitative efforts on scene. En route to a local area hospital, paramedics were successful in resuscitating her. The patient is currently in the intensive care unit. 

Additional equipment from neighboring municipalities assisted the City of Evanston provide station coverage while EFD units battled the blaze. 

The cause of the fire remains under investigation. 

apartment building in Evanston

Larry Shapiro photo

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Wauconda Fire District news

From the Wauconda Fire District Facebook page:

It is with a heavy heart that the Fire District announces the death of retired Division Chief Al Schlick Tuesday evening. Chief Schlick began his career as a paid-on-call firefighter with Wauconda in November of 1987. He transitioned to a full time position in June of 1991 rising up through the ranks to Division Chief of Training. Chief Schlick retired from Wauconda in July of 2015. From there he served as Deputy Chief with the Huntley Fire District. Chief Schlick made everyone around him a better person. His passion, love, and knowledge of the fire service is what made him a mentor to so many. Chief Schlick had the ability to see the potential in people entering the fire service and help them achieve their very best. His advice was sought out by young and old across this great nation. Certainly the Wauconda Fire District was the beneficiary of his selfless service and friendship, and he will be truly missed. Thank you for your service Al – we will take it from here.

Remembering Al Schlick

Wauconda Fire District Division Chief of Training Albert W. Schlick III

Larry Shapiro photo

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

House fire in Buffalo Grove, 1-5-21

Buffalo Grove police and firefighters were called to 134 Golfview Terrace Tuesday afternoon (1/5/21) for a reported house fire. Police officers were first on the scene and said there were flames through the roof. Buffalo Grove Battalion 4 upgraded the alarm to a Code 4 working fire based on the police report. The header was visible from a distance of at least a mile away. Tower Ladder 25 was the first fire company on the scene followed by Arlington Heights Engine 4. The first attack line was taken to the rear and quickly darkened the fire that was burning on the outside of the house. A second line went inside.

Ferrara Inferno tower ladder at house fire

Larry Shapiro photo

smoke and flames from house on fire

Larry Shapiro photo

As additional companies arrived, two more hand lines were pulled and the balance of the fire was extinguished.

 

 

Units at the scene included Buffalo Grove Tower 25, Engine 27, Ambulance 25, Battalion 4, 408, 401, MobileCom, and Squad 25. Out of town companies included Arlington Heights Engine 4, Arlington Heights Battalion 1, Rolling Meadows Quint 15, Palatine Engine 82, Prospect Heights Engine 9, Long Grove Tanker 55, Long Grove Battalion 55, a Barrington ambulance and chief, Libertyville Squad 462, plus ambulances from Lake Forest and Nunda Rural FPD.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

LifeNet replaces Flight for Life in McHenry

This from Asher Heimermann:

As of April 2020, Flight For Life no longer operates out of McHenry. Air Methods has taken over the McHenry base, which is located at Northwestern Medicine McHenry Hospital. As of this week, the helicopter appearance remains largely unchanged besides the removal of the Flight for Life text which has been replaced with LifeNet.

Flight for Life also closed their Fond du Lac, Wisconsin base in January 2019. The organization now operates just one helicopter out of the Waukesha County Airport.
 
former Flight For Life medical helicopter

Asher Heimermann photo

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Working fire in Palatine, 12-23-20 (more)

Brief video by Larry Shapiro of the Working fire in Palatine, 12-23-20

 

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Working fire in Palatine, 12-23-20

Palatine firefighters were called for an apartment fire in the Woodhaven apartments at 15 B Dundee Quarter Drive Wednesday morning. Engine 82 reported seeing the header from Dundee Road and found heavy fire on the third floor upon arrival. They used a blitz attack right away with their deck gun as lines were pulled to make an interior attack. The attic was well involved with flames venting through the roof. As other Palatine units arrived and took additional lines inside, the majority of the fire was extinguished in short order. The building’s design included a mansard roof which created concerns for hidden fire and the potential for communication around the fire wall to the next building. Vent holes were cut into the mansard on the B side and flames were again visible through the roof as Arlington Heights Tower 1 was preparing to deploy a master stream. Interior companies handled the remaining fire and the master stream was not used. At one point a master stream from Palatine Quint 83 was used to wash down the exterior in sector A.

Personnel from Long Grove, Buffalo Grove, Arlington Heights, and Rolling Meadows assisted at the scene.

building fire with mansard roof

Larry Shapiro photo

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Evanston Fire Department history

From Phil Stenholm:

HISTORY OF EVANSTON FIRE DEPARTMENT SQUAD 21

Prior to 1952, the Evanston Fire Department had no squad. EFD Chief Albert Hofstetter wanted to place a squad into service back in the 1930’s, but budget cuts stemming from the Great Depression put that on hold. And so the EFD’s specialized fire-ground support and rescue equipment (including inhalator since 1913) were stored at Fire Station #1 and would be loaded onto an engine and transported to the scene of an incident only when needed.   

1. The First Squad was a 1952 Pirsch 1000-GPM / 100-gallon pumper-squad. One of five rigs purchased by Evanston from Pirsch 1951-52, this was the original Squad 21 from 1952-65, and while it had a 1000-GPM pump, it had no hose bed but there was a “red-line” booster hose reel and 100 gallons of water on board that could be used to extinguish a minor fire. This rig was initially staffed by two firefighters and responded to about 100 inhalator calls city-wide per year from 1952-1959 and to working fires and specialized rescue calls when requested. Inhalators were placed into service with all five engine companies in 1959, so Squad 21 was staffed by just one firefighter (usually the shift mechanic) and responded only to working structure fires and specialized rescue calls when requested 1959-62. It was placed back into front-line service in January 1963 as a four-man company when Truck Co. 23 was taken out of service. It ran as a manpower & rescue company from that point onward, responding to all fire calls (not just working fires) and specialized rescue calls city-wide. It was also the primary inhalator company for Station #1 (keeping Engine 21 available for alarms in the downtown high-value district). Without a hose bed, the 1000-GPM pump was essentially wasted. The original squad body was removed and replaced with a new pumper body in 1966, after-which it ran as Engine 22 from 1966-70 and then as Engine 25 from 1970-76. It was retired and gutted for spare parts in 1980 (there were two other 1952 Pirsch pumpers still in reserve through 1983) and then it became playground equipment at Kamen Park at Asbury & South Blvd. 

Evanston Fire Department history

Bill Friedrich photo

2. The SS-1 of the Evanston Fire Department was a 1965 International / General Body pumper-squad. This rig replaced the 1952 Pirsch pumper-squad so that the Pirsch could be converted into a triple-combination pumper (see above). The work-horse of the Evanston Fire Department between 1966-76, this “Frankenstein” rig was constructed by General Body Co. at their Chicago factory using an International cab & chassis like the ones used by City of Evanston garbage trucks back at that time. General Body (makers of the legendary CFD Autocar squads, the Oscar Mayer “Wienermobile,” bookmobiles, and other specialty vehicles) fabricated the body and put it all together. Included on this rig was a split hose-bed with two leads of pre-connected 1-1/2 hose-lines designed for rapid fire-attack, a heavy-duty front bumper-mounted winch (used mainly to haul vehicles out of Lake Michigan and fire trucks out of snow drifts), extendable quartz lights, and a high-pressure deck gun master-stream nozzle. This version of Squad 21 was staffed by four firefighters and responded to all fire calls (not just working fires) and specialized rescue calls city-wide, as well as to inhalator calls and minor fires (vehicle, trash, prairie, etc) in Station #1’s district.  It was, by far, the busiest company in the EFD the years it was in service, and so new firefighters were often assigned to Squad 21 so they could gain a lot of experience as quickly as possible.    

Evanston Fire Department history

Bill Friedrich photo

3. The Pie Truck – a 1977 Chevrolet / Penn Versatile Van. Known by Evanston firefighters as the “pie truck,” this third version of Squad 21 replaced the 1965 International / General Body squad, mainly because the amount of specialized HazMat, rescue equipment, and dive-team gear added by the EFD in the 1970s exceeded what could be carried on a pumper-squad. Also, Squad 21’s manpower was reassigned to the two MICU ambulances that were placed into service 1976-77, so Squad 21 became an unmanned “jump rig” that was staffed by manpower from Station #1 only when needed  at a working fire, HazMat incident, specialized rescue, dive team call, etc. Thus Squad 21 was no longer the SS-1 of the EFD. It was later reassigned as the Dive Team support truck.  

Evanston Fire Department history

Larry Shapiro photo

4. The Gladiator : A 2006 Spartan Gladiator / Marion “walk-in” heavy-rescue squad. Like the Chevrolet / Penn van that came before it, this newer version of Squad 21 is a “jump rig” at Station #1 and is staffed only when needed, but the 2006 version of Squad 21 can carry  much more equipment than could the Chevy. Besides an air cascade, heavy-duty winch, portable power & lights, and lots of room for specialized equipment and gear, the 2006 Squad 21 also features rehab facilities for extended incidents.   

Evanston Fire Department history

Larry Shapiro photo

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Evanston Fire Department history

This from Phil Stenholm:

The Evanston Fire Department has been running aerial-ladder trailers with tillers (first HDA & then later TDA) since 1907.

Evanston’s first H&L (and it was also one of Evanston’s first two fire apparatus) was a hand-drawn rig purchased from the Babcock Company of Chicago in 1872. It was located in the original EFD station on the first floor of the Village Hall at Church & Orrington 1873-83. It was not an aerial ladder truck, but it was equipped with ladders, axes, pike poles, rope, buckets, and salvage covers. It was only in front-line service until 1883.

The Evanston F. D. was relocated to an old frame paint shop (renovated for use as a firehouse with stable facilities) located on the west-side of Sherman Avenue at the northwest corner of the north alley of Davis Street in 1883 and the EFD became fully horse-drawn at that time, and then Fire Station #1 was relocated again in 1893 to the new City Hall at the northwest corner of Sherman & Davis, and then (again) to the new Police / Fire Public Safety facility at the northwest corner of Grove & Sherman in 1897.

It didn’t have an aerial ladder or a tiller, but Evanston’s first horse-drawn H&L (with a two-horse hitch) was purchased in 1885 (it cost $800) from the Davenport Fire Apparatus Co. of Davenport, IA. It ran as Truck No. 1 at Fire Station #1 1885-1907 and then it was fitted with a 850-ft capacity hose-box and became a “combination truck” (hose & H&L) and was relocated to Fire Station #3 (located at 2504 Railroad Avenue — later known as Green Bay Road) in July 1907 (where it replaced the hose-wagon that had been in service at that station since it opened in January 1901), and it ran as “Truck No. 3” 1907-1917. (It was the only rig at Station #3 1907-1911, then it was the second section of Engine Co. 3 beginning in January 1912 when the 1895 Ahrens 600-GPM steamer was transferred from Station #2 to Station #3).

Evanston purchased a horse-drawn “combination truck” (a combination H&L and chemical engine) from Seagrave in 1902. There was not sufficient manpower to place it into service right away and it did not fit into Station #2 (the former South Evanston Village Hall / Police Station / Fire Station located at 750 Chicago Avenue that was functioning in 1902 as the combined Fire Station #2 and the Evanston Police Department’s “South Precinct” station), so the EFD had to wait for additional manpower to be authorized by the City Council and for the new Station #2 to be completed (constructed on the site of the old South Evanston Village Hall) in 1903.

Like the Davenport truck at Station #3, the Seagrave combination truck at Station #2 was fitted with an 850-ft capacity hose box in July 1907 as the hose-wagon at Station #2 was taken out of service. (The horse-drawn hose wagons at Station #2 and Station #3 were taken out of service in July 1907 to provide the four horses required to pull the new HDA at Station #1).

Evanston acquired its first aerial-ladder truck (with a tiller) from American LaFrance in July 1907. It was an 85-ft HDA (with a four horse-hitch) that cost $6,700 (which was a lot of money in 1907). It ran as Truck No. 1 for about nine years, before it was demolished in a collision with an Evanston Railway Company streetcar at Grove & Sherman in September 1916 while responding to a still alarm on Hinman Avenue. Two firefighters riding on-board were seriously injured in the wreck.

There was already a master plan in place to fully motorize the EFD when Truck 1 was totaled, with one element of the plan to replace the four horses pulling the HDA with a truck tractor. But obviously this never happened.

So the EFD leased a 25-year old HDA from American LaFrance for almost a year (January -November 1917). It was an ex-Chattanooga F. D. 1891 LaFrance/Hayes 55-ft HDA that had been traded-in to American LaFrance when Chattanooga fully motorized its fire department with American LaFrance automobile rigs in 1916.

A $30,000 bond issue to fully motorize the Evanston F. D. was passed by Evanston voters in April 1917, and Seagrave got the contract to supply all of the rigs:

1. A 750-GPM engine equipped with a 50-gallon chemical tank that went into service as Engine No. 1, replacing the 1911 Robinson “Jumbo” 750-GPM pumper (the Jumbo being Evanston’s first automobile pumper, which was retained as the EFD’s lone “spare” automobile rig 1918-29).

2 & 3. Two identical 300-GPM chemical & hose “booster” pumpers equipped with 50-gallon chemical tanks (one rig known as “Truck 2” and then later as “Hose 2” went into service as the second section of Engine Co. 2 replacing the horse-drawn 1902 Seagrave combination truck, and the other went into service as Engine No. 3 replacing the horse-drawn 1895 Ahrens steamer and the 1885 Davenport H&L at Station #3)

4. A Model “K” one-axle tractor to pull the formerly horse-drawn 1906 American LaFrance 700-GPM steamer (which was now a so-called “tractorized-steamer”) at Station #2;

5 A Model “E” city service truck that went into service as the new Truck No. 1, replacing the ex-Chattanooga F. D. HDA. The city service truck was equipped with ladders of various types and lengths but no aerial ladder, and the tallest ladder was a ground-based 55-ft extension ladder that required four men to raise with tormentor poles.

EFD Chief Albert Hofstetter said at the time of the bond issue that Evanston did not need an aerial ladder truck because all of Evanston’s tallest buildings had fire escapes, but when the National Board of Fire Underwriters (NBFU) inspected the EFD in 1923, it strongly recommended that Evanston add an TDA ASAP. Five multi-story hotels and many of the two and three-story apartment buildings that dot Evanston’s landscape were built in the years 1917-23.

So to keep Evanston’s NBFU rating at “3,” the Evanston City Council quickly appropriated $16,500 to purchase an 85-ft TDA. Seagrave won the bid and the new truck was placed into service as the new Truck No. 1 in September 1924. The former Truck 1 (the 1917 Seagrave city service truck) became Truck No. 2 (as Truck Co. 2 was organized on September 1st). Both Truck Co. 1 and Truck Co. 2 ran out of Station #1 for 30 years. Truck Co. 1’s first-due district was the area east of Asbury Avenue where most all of the city’s tall buildings were located, Truck Co. 2’s first-due district was the area west of Asbury Avenue which consisted of mainly single-family residences and a few factories along the C&NW RR Mayfair Division tracks. Both trucks responded to alarms at schools during school hours, hospitals, and retirement & nursing homes.

Evanston ran with just the one aerial ladder truck (Truck 1) for 13 years. Truck 2 was replaced with a Seagrave “Service” 65-ft aerial ladder truck with a 50-gallon booster tank in 1937. It was called a “Service” aerial because the aerial ladder was mounted on the old Seagrave city service chassis. The 1917 Seagrave city service truck (formerly Truck 2) then became “Truck 3” (the EFD’s reserve truck). This rig was also assigned to the volunteer Evanston Auxiliary Fire Service during WWII, along with one of the old 300-GPM booster pumpers

So Evanston had two aerial ladder trucks, but only one TDA as of December 1937.

A new combined Police Station HQ & six-bay Fire Station #1 was constructed at the northwest corner of Lake & Elmwood in 1949, and the City Council appropriated funds to purchase a new 85-foot TDA to replace Truck 1 (the 1924 Seagrave TDA) in 1950. Pirsch won the bid (the first time Evanston purchased a rig not built by Seagrave since 1911) with ETA expected in 3rd quarter 1951. However, Evanston voters approved a $135,000 bond issue in April 1951 that provided funds to purchase three new pumpers (one of which was a combination pumper-rescue squad) and two new TDA (this included the new truck that was already on order, so the 1950 separate appropriation was canceled).

Pirsch won the bid to supply all five of the rigs (not just the new Truck 1) from the bond issue. Pirsch out-bid American LaFrance and Seagrave for the TDA, and Mack for the pumpers.

Besides acquiring new apparatus, some of the funds from the bond issue were used to purchase new hose and other needed equipment including modern SCBA for the two trucks, and two-way radios. With radios being installed in 1952, the EFD changed the numbering of its companies to the “20-series” so Truck Co. 1 became “Truck Co. 21,” Truck Co. 2 became “Truck Co. 22,” etc, to avoid confusion with other fire departments that were already operating on the same radio frequency.

The new Truck 1 arrived a year before the others (it became “Truck 21” when radios were installed in 1952), and the other four rigs (Engine 21, Engine 25, Squad 21, and Truck 22) arrived in September 1952. All five of the new Pirsch rigs were assigned to Fire Station #1, so Evanston residents could drive past or stop-by and view the EFD’s modern fleet of fire apparatus all in one place.

The tractor and the trailer of the old Truck 1 (the 1924 Seagrave TDA) were separated and the trailer & wooden aerial ladder were junked, but the tractor was retained and converted to a Chicago F. D.- style “high-pressure wagon” (known as “Squad 22”) with a hosebed from one of the old 1917 Seagrave pumpers that was junked in 1952 placed onto the Seagrave tractor. A high-pressure nozzle was fitted on top and the rig was also equipped with large-diameter “fireboat” hose and specialized portable master-stream and high-pressure nozzles.

The old Truck 2 (1937 Seagrave 65-ft service aerial truck) became the EFD’s reserve truck (Truck 23) at Fire Station #3 on Green Bay Road when the new Pirsch TDA was placed into service as the new Truck 22 at Station #1 in 1952. However, the Seagrave truck was placed back into front-line service when a third truck company (Truck Co. 23) was organized at the new Fire Station #3 at 1105 Central Street when it opened in September 1955.

Meanwhile, Truck Co. 22 was relocated to the new Fire Station #2 (and EFD HQ) at 702 Madison Street in March 1955. There wasn’t room for an aerial ladder truck at the old Station #2, which is why both trucks ran out of Station #1 1924-55.

In 1962, EFD Chief James Geishecker requested the City Council appropriate funds for a new 100-ft TDA for Truck Co. 21 at Station #1, with the existing Truck 21 (the 1951 Pirsch 85-ft TDA) to be moved to Station #3 and become Truck 23, replacing the 25-year old 1937 Seagrave 65-ft truck, which would go into reserve. The EFD had no reserve truck after Truck Co. 23 was organized in 1955.

The city Council refused to appropriate funds for a new 100-ft TDA in 1962 (although they did five years later), and so Chief Geishecker took Truck Co. 23 and its 25-year old rig out of service and transferred Truck 23’s manpower to Squad 21 at Station #1, as Squad 21 became a fully-manned company. Squad 21 previously had been the “inhalator squad” and rescue truck, responding to inhalator calls city-wide, specialized rescue calls, and working fires, and manned by only two firefighters when needed.

Evanston Fire Department Pirsch tractor-drawn aerial

Larry Shapiro photo

Evanston finally purchased (at a cost of $60,000) a new 100-ft TDA in 1967 (it arrived in December 1968). A Pirsch “Senior” TDA, it went into service as the new Truck 21 in January 1969.

The former Truck 21 (1951 Pirsch 85-ft TDA) was then relocated temporarily to Station #2 where it ran for several months in 1969 as Truck 22 while Truck 22 (the 1952 Pirsch 85-ft TDA) was “modernized” at the Pirsch factory in Kenosha (at a cost of $20,000). The tractor was refurbished (most obvious differences were new fenders and dual headlights and a new Mars rotating beacon light), and the 85-ft aerial ladder was re-mounted on a new trailer. The 1951 Pirsch TDA became the EFD’s reserve truck (Truck 23) and the 1937 Seagrave 65-ft service aerial ladder truck was junked when Truck 22 came back from the Pirsch factory later that year.

The ISO did an inspection of the Evanston Fire Department in 1977 and (among other things) concluded that the EFD needed more front-line GPM pumping capability. Squad 21’s 1965 International pumper-squad — which functioned as a second engine at Station #1 — was replaced by a Chevrolet Versatile-Van in 1977.  This resulted in Evanston (hurriedly) purchasing a new Pirsch 1250-GPM pumper (it was already being built at the Pirsch factory as an “off-the-shelf” spec rig when Evanston bought it) to replace an older 1970 Pirsch 1000-GPM pumper at Station #2, and a Seagrave 1250-GPM / 100-ft RMA quint which was placed into service at Station #1 as the new Truck 21.

Evanston Fire Department Truck 21 - 1977 Seagrave

Larry Shapiro photo

These two acquisitions (the Pirsch pumper and the Seagrave quint) helped the EFD get its tentative ISO Class 4 rating moved back up to Class 3 as it had been for more than 50 years, but the long-term plan was actually to relocate Truck Co. 21 and its Seagrave quint to Station #3 where it would become Truck Co. 23, take Engine Co. 23 out of service, and use the manpower from the disbanded Engine Co. 23 (three firefighters per shift) to place a fourth firefighter on the quint and place a third ambulance in service at Station #3.

Unfortunately, it turned out the Seagrave truck had some design flaws, most notably that if the 300-gallon water tank was filled with water (which it would need to be if ran as a quint at Station #3), the single rear axle would break (which it did). What Evanston did not know when they bought it was that the rig would needed two rear axles in order to provide enough support for the added weight from the water in the tank.

Meanwhile, the 1968 Pirsch 100-ft TDA was relocated to Fire Station #2 in 1980 (and became the new Truck 22) when the Seagrave quint was placed into service at Station #1 (the ’68 Pirsch tractor also got a diesel engine), the former Truck 22 (the 1952 Pirsch 85-ft TDA that was refurbished in 1969) was moved to Station #3 (where it became the reserve truck (Truck 23), and the 1951 Pirsch 85-ft TDA was junked. Truck 23’s 1952 Pirsch tractor (the one refurbished in 1969) was replaced in 1982 by a 1968 GMC / Pirsch tractor that had formerly been in service with the Aurora F. D. in Colorado.

Evanston Fire Department Pierce tractor-drawn aerial

Larry Shapiro photo

The EFD purchased two new TDAs from Pierce equipped with 105-ft Smeal aerial ladders in 1990 and 1991. The first one went into service as Truck 22 at Station #2 in 1990, and the second one became the reborn Truck Co. 23 at Station #3 in 1991, as Truck Co. 21 became Truck Co. 23 and was relocated from Station #1 to Station #3.

Evanston Fire Department Pierce tractor-drawn aerial

Larry Shapiro photo

All of the EFD’s older trucks were junked by the mid-1990’s, and so the EFD went in search of a used truck it could acquire quickly. The initial plan was to purchase a 25-year old RMA from Highland Park F. D. (ex-HPFD Truck 31), but it was found to be mechanically unsound and not even useful as a reserve truck.

1990 Pierce Arrow ladder truck

Larry Shapiro photo

Evanston ended up purchasing a rebuilt 1990 Pierce / Smeal RMA in 1998 for use as a reserve truck. This rig was formerly owned by the San Antonio F. D. in Texas before the aerial ladder was totaled in a load-test mishap that required the aerial ladder to be replaced.

2011 Pierce Arrow XT 105' tractor-drawn aerial

Larry Shapiro photo

A new Pierce Arrow XT 105-ft TDA (the new Truck 22) was acquired in 2011, and another new Pierce Arrow XT 105-ft TDA (the new Truck 23) was added in 2015.

The price of a new TDA has gone up, however, since Evanston’s first HDA was purchased in 1907 for the then unbelievable sum of $6,700. They now cost a cool million bucks.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Working fire in Arlington Heights, 11-28-20

Arlington Heights firefighters were called to 115 S. Wilshire Lane on Saturday evening (11/28/20) for a reported fire. Arriving police and fire units encountered smoke in the residence and discovered a fire in the rear. The alarm was upgraded to a Code 4 for the working fire which brought additional units from Arlington Heights as well as mutual aid companies from Prospect Heights, Buffalo Grove, and Palatine. Firefighters made quick work of extinguishing the flames and the additional personnel were not put to work and released before long.

house fire scene in Arlington Heights

Larry Shapiro photo

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Highland Park Fire Department history (more)

More from Larry Shapiro about the Highland Park Fire Department history of their truck company

Sutphen mid-mount aerial ladder truck

Larry Shapiro photo

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,