The Chicago Tribune has an article stating that the high-rise fire at 3925 Triumvera Drive on 9-11-13 was caused by cigarettes.

Cigarettes sparked the fire in Glenview last week from which a mother and her 14-year-old son had to be rescued, according to authorities.

“The cause of fire was smoking, misplaced cigarettes,” said Glenview Fire Chief Wayne Globerger.

The blaze broke out in a bedroom of a man’s apartment at around 12:30 a.m. Sept. 11, on the ninth floor of a high-rise condo building at 3925 Triumvera Drive. About 40 firefighters worked to extinguish the fire, evacuating every resident from the 16-story building, Globerger said.

Glenbrook South High School student Sungwon Choi and his mother were stuck on a balcony of their apartment, which was adjacent to the fire, and had to be rescued via a 100-foot ladder. The blaze was put out in minutes, and no one needed treatment at a hospital. But the fire caused about $500,000 in damage to the building, mainly affecting two units on the ninth floor and one on the eighth floor, Globerger said.

Most of the residents of the building are back in their apartments, but for some it may take months before their condominiums are livable once again.

Larry Shapiro also posted this short video of the fire scene

Tags: , , , , , , ,