This from Mark Mitchell:

We can’t forget the Karcher Hotel fire in Waukegan on 12/25/1984. By then, the building was run as housing for the elderly and eight people died in what I believe was a 4th alarm.


On Christmas morning in 1984, a fire broke out in the interior wood and plaster wall of the Hotel and burned into a clothing store on the main floor. Eight people died from carbon monoxide poisoning, seven were injured, and four were hospitalized. This was the second fire in the Hotel’s history; the first was in 1978 but did little damage. The fire of 1984 is known as the worst fire in Waukegan’s history.; #history; #WuakeganFD; #KarcherHotelfire; #MarkKodiakUkena;

Photograph by Mark Kodiak Ukena