Excerpts from theabc7chicago.com:

Streamwood firefighters responded to a home on Shagbark Lane around 4 p.m. Monday afternoon where they found windows blown out and a fire in the basement.

A heating and air conditioning technician had been working on one unit of the three-unit townhouse, and sustained non-life threatening injuries.

Fire officials said their investigation found the HVAC contractor was outside the building, cutting a hole in the wall, when he hit a natural gas pipe causing a leak and then the explosion. The contractor was hit by flying glass and taken to St. Alexius Hospital where he was treated and released.

The explosion was ruled accidental.