Archive for June 18th, 2015

Heavy rains create multiple rescues for Naperville FD

Excerpts from

Emergency crews [Firefighters] rescued a man from the rain-swollen DuPage River in Naperville Wednesday night, the third such incident in two days.

Someone called 9-1-1 at 7:48 p.m. to report a person clinging to a tree in the DuPage River in the 1200 block of South Washington Street, according to a statement from the Naperville Fire Department. Crews Firefighters arrived at the scene five minutes later to find the 58-year-old man holding on to the tree and surrounded by fast-moving currents.

Fire department personnel positioned a safety line downstream while Swift Water Rescue swimmers entered the water to reach the man, who appeared to be hypothermic. He was safely removed from the water about 8:17 p.m.[and] evaluated by paramedics at the scene. A witness told authorities the man had entered the river in an inflatable canoe at Pioneer Park but failed to arrive at the designated landing area. He was not wearing a personal flotation device.

Earlier Wednesday, three teenagers were rescued after a motorist spotted them trapped on an island in the river near 95th Street and Eagle Brook Lane just after 1 p.m.

On Tuesday, three people were rescued from the river after their raft flipped over near downtown Naperville’s Riverwalk. No one was injured in any of the water rescue incidents.

A flood warning is in effect for several rivers across the Chicago area, including the DuPage River, because of recent heavy rains, according to the National Weather Service.

Tags: , , ,

Tragic discovery by Highland Park FD lieutenant

Excerpts from the

A north suburban couple was found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning by their son, a firefighter, on Monday morning.

The Highland Park Fire Dept. lieutenant went to visit his parents at their home about 8 a.m. Monday and found his father unresponsive on the main floor. He immediately began CPR and called for an ambulance. His mother was found unresponsive in an upstairs bedroom. Both were pronounced dead at the scene.

It appears the elder Fontanini heard the alarm on the carbon monoxide detector, and found that the family car, which has a keyless ignition, was running in the attached garage.

He opened the overheard garage door to alleviate the fumes, but  “tragically it was too late as the high levels of carbon monoxide were affecting him,” a statement from police said.

An investigation found extremely high levels of carbon monoxide throughout the home, police said.

Tags: ,

Countryside FPD burn down 6-13-15 (more)

This from Steve Redick:

Had a neat opportunity to attend a post training burndown last Saturday. The building was the old Lake County animal welfare place and was a good size wood frame commercial structure. Got to see a little bit of a tanker operation and got to play around with some pano and hdr images There was also a drone being flown at the site. Here’s a sample..all can be seen HERE


fire departmetn water tender dumping into a portable tank

Steve Redick photo

fire engine drafting from portable tank

Steve Redick photo

fire trucks at fire scene

Steve Redick photo

remains of building burning

Steve Redick photo

fire department burns building after training

Steve Redick photo

firemen in tower ladder with smoke

Steve Redick photo

Tags: , , , ,