Posts Tagged the color of fire engines

Crete Fire Department is added to Division 27

In Will County, the Crete Fire Department has been added to the site. Crete has two stations with Pierce, Saulsbury, and Medtec apparatus.

Crete Fire Department Engine 702 Pierce Enforcer

Crete is changing the color of their units from white over lime green to black over red.

Crete Fire Department Squad 706

Crete Fire Department Station 2

Crete Fire Station 2 is a t 3740 Melanie Lane. It was built in 1983. Dennis McGuire, Jr. photo

Share/Save

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

The Leyden Fire District has been added

In MABAS Division 20, the Leyden Fire Protection District has been added to the site. Leyden has one station covering unincorporated Leyden Township. They have 13 full-time, 10 paid-on-call, and 6 contract personnel. Leyden currently houses the MABAS Division 20 Decon unit. They have two ambulances, a quint, an engine, and a utility unit.

 

Leyden Fire Protection District station

The Leyden Fire District station is at 2600 Mannheim Road with a Franklin Park mailing address. Larry Shapiro photo

Leyden Fire Protection District Engine 131

For many years the Leyden apparatus has been black over yellow. They have two ambulances which are this yellow with black accents and striping.

Leyden Fire Protection District

Leyden’s newest unit is this 2006 quint which features a new set of colors.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

New engine for York Center

Engine 75 at the York Center FPD has been added to the site. This now completes the transition to an all-Pierce department for custom apparatus.

York Center Fire Protection District  Engine 75

The 2012 Pierce replaces a 1993 E-ONE Hush.

York Center Fire Protection District

The E-ONE Hush was originally white over lime green.

York Center Fire Protection District fire engine

York Center Engine 75 was delivered as seen here. Larry Shapiro photo

The 1993 Hush replaced a Seagrave PB Series engine.

York Center Fire Protection District Seagrave engine

Two generations back, York Center Engine 75 was this 1973 Seagrave PB Series engine. Larry Shapiro photo

Robbins Fire Department 1973 Seagrave engine formerly from York Center FPD

Robbins Fire Department Engine 2943 was a 1973 Seagrave 1250/5000) that formerly belonged to the York Center FPD. Bill Friedrich photo

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

The Color of Fire Trucks (part 13) – Division 11

More from Bill Friedrich about MABAS Division 11 departments that have had non-red fire apparatus.

Here is a shot of the Forest Park Mack CF in the lime green color. The photo is from retired Forest Park LT.Mario Tricoci

Forest Park Fire Department Mack CF engine

Forest Park FD Engine 401, a Mack CF was received lime green in 1974 with a 1,250-GPM pump and 500 gallons of water. Mario Tricoci photo

 

Forest Park Review February 6, 1974

Forest park Fire Department 1974

Tags: , , , , , ,

The Color of Fire Trucks (part 12) Division 11

More on the non-red fire apparatus that served in MABAS Division 11.

Cicero Fire Department 1976 Haz mat unit

Cicero Haz Mat 1 in 1976 was this lime green unit built by Koeing on a Ford F-600 chassis. Bill Friedrich photo

Haz Mat 1 was kept at Sta.2

Cicero Fire Department Squad F-11

Cicero Squad F-11 was this white truck built by Wolverine on a Ford F-600 chassis in 1976. It had a 25′ elevating ladder which was more commonly used by outdoor sign companies. Bill Friedrich photo

Here is a shot shortly after the Western Electric plant in Cicero closed down. This was Engine 6 on the radio.

Cicero Fire Department 1978 Ford Howe fire engine lime green

Cicero acquired this 1978 Ford F-700/Howe commercial engine from the Western Electric Plant Brigade when it closed. This had a 750-GPM pump with 600 gallons of water. Bill Friedrich photo

The engine was sold to a department in Alabama. It was at Cicero for about 1-2 years. They did not care for the lime green color. Western Electric employed around 20,000 people and was located near 22nd & Cicero. They did have a full time department.

Cicero Fire Department 1981 Ford Darley fire engine

Cicero Engine 3 was delivered by W.S. Darley in 1981 on a Ford C-8000 chassis with a custom canopy configuration. Originally it was all white but was later repainted to match the new color scheme. Bill Friedrich photo

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

The Color of Fire Trucks (part 11) Division 11

It’s been a while since our last article in The Color of Fire Trucks series. We are up to MABAS Division 11 this time with only one department to feature which previously ran with apparatus that was not red.

The Cicero Fire Department purchased several units in the 1970s and 1980s that were solid white. They had a Ford/Grove 100′ rear-mount aerial, a Ford/Darly top-mount engine, and a unique squad on a Ford F chassis with a light-weight ladder similar to those used by outdoor sign companies.

Cicero Fire Department Ford Grove aerial ladder

Cicero Truck 1 ran with this 1973 100′ rear-mounted Grove aerial ladder mounted on a Ford C-Series chassis. The body was built by American Fire Apparatus. Larry Shapiro photo

Cicero Fire Department Engine 3 Ford C-8000 Darley engine

Shortly after being delivered to Cicero by the W.S. Darley Company in 1981, Engine 3 was photographed outside the station. Built on a Ford C-8000 chassis with a rear custom canopy cab with a top-mounted control panel, this engine had a 1,000-GPM pump and carried 500 gallons of water. Larry Shapiro photo

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

The color of fire trucks (part 10) Division 10 (update)

This week’s posting of the Division 10 apparatus showing departments that once had a unique colored rig or that have changed to red was flawed. The Clarendon Hills Fire Department should not have been featured since their current color is not red, but with that in mind, Bill Friedrich has submitted an image from a day when Clarendon Hills did have red trucks.

Bill tells us that:

Clarendon Hills started of with a black over red fleet. Besides this one, they had a really neat FWD engine  and a Ford C squad truck. They also had a white tandem axle Ford F ambulance.
Clarendon Hills Fire Department red fire truck

In 1963, Clarendon Hills ran with this 1963 IHC R-190/Darley unit that was black over red. It had a 750-GPM pump and 500 gallons of water with an overhead ladder rack. Bill Friedrich photo

Bill also tells us about the Hinsdale Fire Department:

Hinsdale had an all red fleet as well prior to the black and yellow rigs. Besides this ladder they had a Pirsch and FWD engine.
Hinsdale Fire Department 1952 American LaFrance 700 Series

Hinsdale used to have red trucks like this 1952 American LaFrance 700 Series mid-mounted 75′ ladder truck. It ran as Truck442 with a 1000-GPM pump and 150 gallons of water. Bill Friedrich photo

Tags: , , , ,

The color of fire trucks (part 10) Division 10

Departments in MABAS Division 10 are featured in this next installment of The Color of Fire Trucks series.

Clarendon Hills Fire Department Mack Pierce TeleSqurt

Clarendon Hills ran this 1986 50′ TeleSqurt built by Pierce on a Mack CF chassis. Engine 349 had a 1,500-GPM pump and carried 500 gallons of water. Larry Shapiro photo

The Clarendon Hills Fire Department runs with apparatus that is painted white over a bright yellow. They currently have a fleet of four units with these colors.

Darien-Woodridge Fire Protection District engine

One of several E-ONE units purchased by the Darien-Woodridge FPD was this 1990 top-mount Hurricane engine with 1,000 gallons of water and a 1,500-GPM pump. It ran as Engine 371. Larry Shapiro photo

The Darien-Woodridge Fire Protection District currently runs with red and white apparatus. Their newest unit is solid red, and with this purchase they will retire one of the last of their lime-green apparatus which dominated their fleet for many years.

Riverside Fire Department green fire engine

Riverside Engine 306 ran with this 1978 Ford C-8000/Seagrave. It had a 1,250-GPM pump and 750 gallons of water. Bill Friedrich photo

The Riverside FD had this Seagrave engine and they also purchased another lime green rig. The second unit was a Chevy/E-ONE (DOT) light rescue, like the one shown below from Forest View.
Forest View Fire Department EONE small rescue

Forest View ran with one of the popular small DOT spec rescue squads like many other area departments. Squad 816 was built by E-ONE in 1980 on a GMC chassis. Bill Friedrich photo

The Forest View FD purchased this (DOT) light rescue. It was the only non-red rig in the fleet.
Hinsdale Fire Department EONE engine painted black and yellow

One of many units that has been purchased over the years for service in Hinsdale was this 1982 E-ONE Protector IV engine. Running as Engine 343, it was built on a Hendrickson chassis with an 1871-W cab, and carried 500 gallons of water with a 1,250-GPM pump. Larry Shapiro photo

Until 2008, all of the apparatus in the Hinsdale Fire Department was delivered black over yellow, and with the exception of their 2008 Spartan/Rosenbauer/Metz tower ladder, everything still maintains these colors.
Westmont Fire Department Pemfab Wedge engine by FTI

The Westmont Fire Department purchased this white and lime engine from FTI in 1978. It featured a 1,250-GPM pump with 500 gallons of water. It was built on a Pemfab chassis with their ‘wedge’ (Model 932-T) cab. Bill Friedrich photo

Westmont’s Fire Department had only this one non-red rig in the fleet.
Willow Springs Fire Department black E-ONE tower ladder

Willow Springs purchased this unusual 95′ tower ladder from E-ONE in 2001. Painted black, tower 600 had a 1,500-GPM pump with 300 gallons of water on a Cyclone chassis. Bill Friedrich photo

Willow Springs had this unique E-ONE tower ladder that was black. Reportedly, a developer was to build a large project in Willow Springs and was required to purchase an aerial unit for the fire department. The developer insisted on the tower being painted black.
Argonne national Laboratory Fire Department

The Argonne Labs Fire Department put together this brush rig with a 1975 IHC pickup. Brush 75 had a 70-GPM pump and a 250-gallon water tank. Bill Friedrich photo

Argonne Laboratory FD built their own brush truck. It was the only non-red in the fleet.
Western Springs Fire Department Pierce Arrow engine white fire truck

One of the many units that saw service in Western Springs when their apparatus was painted white was this 1981 Pierce Arrow engine. It was one of the early Pierce Arrow models with a chassis that was made by Oshkosh. Engine 437 had a 1,500-GPM pump with 750 gallons of water. The top-mount control station featured a hand-rail due to the large and spacious area.At this point in time, Pierce was building the cab and body. It wasn’t until later that they began to assemble the entire chassis. Larry Shapiro photo

The current Western Springs Fire Department apparatus is red and white although previously their units were all white with blue and gold trim.
Romeoville Fire Department white rescue squad

The only unit that the Romeoville Fire Department has run with that was not red was this 1979 E-ONE (DOT) light-duty rescue on a Ford F-350 chassis. Perhaps what is most unusual about this is that these were normally delivered lime green. Bill Friedrich photo

Romeoville had a white light-duty rescue by E-ONE. Most of these units were delivered lime green as per the DOT spec.

McCook Fire Department yellow Seagrave engine

This was one of two Seagrave engines that was purchased by the McCook Fire Department and was painted yellow. Engine 379, built in 1979, had 500 gallons of water with a 1,250-GPM pump. Bill Friedrich photo

Many years ago, the McCook Fire Department had red apparatus, then they switched to bright yellow for several years before the fleet was changed again to red and white.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

The color of fire trucks (part 9) Division 7

This next installment (our 9th) in our series highlighting The Color of Fire Trucks, comes again from Bill Friedrich and looks at MABAS Division 7. This MABAS division covers Kankakee County and part of Iroquois County.

Essex Fire Protection District

Essex ran Squad 1974, a 1974 Dodge Power wagon that was modified by the department. Bill Friedrich archives

This was the only white vehicle in the Essex FD fleet.
Kankakee Fire Department Mack CF Pirsch ladder

The City of Kankakee had two units on CF Mack chassis that were white over lime-green. One was this 1983 Mack CF600 with a 100′ Pirsch aerial ladder, a 1,250-GPM pump and 200 gallons of water. This was Ladder 6. Bill Friedrich archives

In Kankakee, this was one of two lime-green Macks in the fleet, both of which had white roofs. The other was a Mack-CF engine. Both are now gone from the roster.
Kankakee Township Fire Department

The Kankakee Township FPD had this 1975 IHC Cargostar 1910 with an Alexis body, 1,000-GPM pump and 500 gallons of water. It ran as Engine 84. Bill Friedrich archives

The Kankakee Township FD was all lime-green at one time. All subsequent vehicles are painted red.
Pembroke Fire Protection District

Pembroke FPD Engine 139 was a 1972 IHC Loadstar 1800 built by Central with a 500-GPM pump and 500 gallons of water. Bill Friedrich archives

The Pembroke FPD had a few lime green rigs. Now they are all red.
Otto Township Fire Protection District

Otto Township Engine 38 was this 1986 IHC S1900/Luverne with a 750-GPM pump and 500 gallons of water. Bill Friedrich archives

The Otto Township FPD had lime green at one point. Now they too area all red.
Papineau Fire Protection District

This X-Glenside FPD engine is now running as Engine 1533 for the Papineau FPD. It is a 1981 Pierce Arrow with 750 gallons of water and a 1,250-GPM pump. Bill Friedrich photo

This is the only yellow rig in the Papineau FPD fleet. It was purchased last year from the Glenside FPD in MABAS Division 12.
Bourbonnais Fire Protection District

Bourbonnais Engine 63 was a 1976 was built by Howe on a Hendrickson 1871 with 800 gallons of water and a 1,000-GPM pump. Bill Friedrich archives

The Bourbonnais FPD  had a few yellow rigs. All the others were red.
Grant Park Fire Protection District

Engine 112 for the Grant park FPD was this 1963 IHC/Central with 1,000 gallons of water and a 1,000-GPM pump. Bill Friedrich archives

This was the only lime-green rig in the Grant Park Fire District fleet. Everything else has always been red.
Chebanse Township Fire Protection District tanker

Chebanse Township FPD Tanker 2871 was a 1994/2001 Peterbilt 379 built by Midstate Tank. It carried 3,000 gallons of water with no pump. Bill Friedrich photo

The Chebanse Township FPD, in Clifton, had two white rigs, all the rest are red.
Salina Township Fire Protection District

Salina Township FPD ran Tanker 164 which was built on a 1985 GMC F-7000 chassis by Midstate Tank. There was no pump alongside the 2,000-gallon tank. Bill Friedrich archives

Salina Township still has this white rig.  At one point they had a white brush truck. Everything else is red.
St. Anne Fire Department

Rescue 10 saw service with the St. Anne Fire Department. It was a 1967 Chevy Step Van. Bill Friedrich archive

St.Anne FD had the blue rescue truck. This was repainted white/red. Everything else has always been red.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

The color of fire trucks (part 8) Division 6

This installment is from Bill Freidrich.

Eight fire departments in Dekalb County, MABAS Division 6, have had non-red fire apparatus and rescues over the years.

 

This was the only non-red vehicle in the  Cortland FD fleet.

Cortland Fire Department ambulance

The Cortland Fire Department ran this 1977/1982 Chevy/Horton Type I as Rescue 1751. Bill Friedrich photo

 

This Ward LaFrance/Hi-Ranger Snorkel was the only non-red rig in the Dekalb FD fleet. It was later sold to the Shabbona FPD and repainted white over red.

Dekalb Fire Department 1975 Ward LaFrance Hi-Ranger Snorkel

Dekalb had this lime yellow and white 85' Hi-Ranger built by Ward LaFrance in 1975. Bill Friedrich photo

Shabbona Fire Protection District 1975 Ward La France Hi-Ranger Snorkel

The Shabbona Fire Department, bought this 1975 Ward LaFrance (P80) 85' Hi-Ranger from Dekalb. Bill Friedrich photo

 

 

This squad was the only non-red unit for the Shabbona Fire Protection District.

Shabbona Fire Protection old fire truck

Shabbona had this 1975 Chevy Step-Van as Rescue 2516. It was their only piece that was not red. Bill Friedrich photo

 

 

For the Malta FPD, this was the only non-red unit in their fleet.
Malta Fire Protection District 1965 Dodge/Boyer mini-pumper

Malta ran this as Rescue 4. It was a 1965 Dodge/Boyer with a 250-GPM pump and 300 gallons of water. Bill Friedrich photo

At the Maple Park FPD, this was the only non-red rig in their house. It had been a show truck for Alexis.
Maple Park Fire Protection District Mack MC Alexis tanker

Maple Park bought this 1985 Alexis 2,750-gallon tanker on a Mack MC chassis which was built as a demonstrator/show truck. It had a 750-GPM pump and was the only non-red unit in Maple Park. Bill Friedrich photo

 

 

At the Genoa-Kingston FPD, everything today is all red. Previously though, the vehicles were all orange, red with a white paint job and white with a orange stripe.
Genoa-Kingston Fire Protection District Pierce Aerial-ETT

The Genoa-Kingston Fire Protection District used to run with a fleet that was all orange. One early unit was Engine 78, built by Pierce in 1978 on a Ford C-8000 chassis. It had a 750-GPM pump and carried 750 gallons of water. It also featured a 45' Aerial-ETT, an early aerial ladder design by Pierce. Bill Friedrich photo

The Kirkland FPD was all white. Today everything is they have is painted red.
Kirkland FPD (IL) 1961 GMC-Hower fire engine

When the Kirkland FPD ran with white apparatus, this front mounted pumper tanker from Howe was Tanker 2. It was built in 1961 on a GMC chassis. Bill Friedrich photo

The Waterman FPD apparatus is all red with the exception of this one unit.
Waterman FPD Ford McCoy Miller rescue squad

Waterman Rescue 1251, the only non-red unit in their fleet, was built in 1986 by McCoy-Miller on a Cord F-800 chassis. Bill Friedrich photo

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,