The Long Grove Fire Department received a call this morning about a house on fire at 1889 Checker Road. The fire department had been using the vacant house for training over the past two weeks as eight other departments participated in multiple interior evolutions per day. The training was completed yesterday and the fire department is scheduled to burn the house to the ground for the developer this Saturday morning with area residents in attendance.
The call was delayed roughly 20 minutes this morning because the neighbor thought the fire department might still be training. Upon the realization that the fire was unattended, she phoned in the alarm and Long Grove responded with their full assignment including Tanker 55 since there are no hydrants in the area. The header could be seen shortly after leaving the station, and the first unit reported a working fire at the north end of the house where a large stack of wooden pallets had been stored.
Tankers were requested from Prospect Heights and Fox Lake since the department wanted to prevent the structure from going to the ground. Engines from Buffalo Grove and Palatine came in as did an ambulance from Arlington Heights for rehab. Much of the house was saved and will be burned on Saturday …
Larry Shapiro and Tim Olk were at the scene to photograph the fire.
A full gallery of images from the fire can be viewed HERE.