No one was injured in a fire that caused easily more than $100,000 in damage to a Spring Grove home Sunday afternoon. The Spring Grove Fire Protection District responded at 2:26 p.m. Sunday to 6316 Johnsburg Road where
first responders (firefighters) found flames shooting out of the roof and windows of an attached tool shed, Chief Richard Tobiasz said.
About 15 fire departments from Lake and McHenry counties as well as Wisconsin helped put out the fire, which had extended into the main house, a large converted dairy barn … it took less than an hour for crews to get the fire under control.
The home is located in an area without fire hydrants, so tankers were dispatched to the water tower in Spring Grove to bring back water, he said.
The owner had been heating up some cooking oil in the tool shed when he went back in the house and may have fallen asleep, Tobiasz said. A neighbor saw the fire, got into the house and woke up the owner and his two adult sons.
The first floor and the tool shed suffered fire damage, and smoke damage extended onto the second floor where the bedrooms are, he said, adding the house is not a total loss and potentially could be rebuilt.