Posts Tagged American LaFrance 900 series engine

Gary Fire Department history

This from Wayne Stuart:

The Gary Fire Department operated four 1970 American La France 900 Series engines. They were assigned to Engine Companies 1,2,3&4. They had 1500 GPM pumps and 300 Gallon tanks. Engine Co. No.4 was assigned this apparatus. It carried ALF Serial # 12-1-2321. It had seen a lot of use when this photo was taken in the early 80’s.

Wayne Stuart Photo

1970 American La France 900 Series engines

Gary Fire Department 1970 American La France 900 Series engines. 1500/300 Engine Co. No.4 was assigned this apparatus. It carried ALF Serial # 12-1-2321. Wayne Stuart photo

Tags: , , , ,

Glencoe Public Safety Department history

This from Larry Shapiro:

While digging through some old images, I came across these three shots spanning thirty years or more of Glencoe engines at fire scenes.

American LaFrance 900 Series engine on scene

Glencoe Engine 87, a 900 Series American LaFrance at a fire scene with Winnetka’s mid-ship American LaFrance aerial. Larry Shapiro photo

Glencoe Fire Department Public Safety Department fire engine at work

Glencoe Engine 30, a Pierce Saber on scene. Larry Shapiro photo

Glencoe Fire Department Engine 30 at a fire scene

Glencoe Engine 30, a Pierce Saber using a deck gun at a fire in 2013. Larry Shapiro photo

Glencoe FD engine 30 E-ONE Typhoon

Glencoe FD Engine 30, an E-ONE Typhoon at a fire scene in 2016. Larry Shapiro photo

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Down memory lane …

This from Steve Redick:

I was doing some scanning from the “wayback” files and found a few you might like to see…

The first was a huge pile of RR ties in Bensenville that burned for hours and hours..early 80s. Got some rig shots including the old Bensenville International Squad rig..I remember at this fire the oxygen levels near it got low and one fireman started acting very erratically til they got him into better atmosphere..very strange but no one thought of using masks at an outside fire back then.

I got a lot of interest in the Elk Grove tiller shot too…..

Found a coupla shots of some Mt Prospect rigs, and the Wood Dale truck

Also a fire in a trailer in Morton Grove at the old OCC site (Oakton Community College)

All these should be from the early 80s and shot on Kodacolor negative film…

Steve

Bensenville Fire Department history

Bensenville engine. Steve Redick photo

Railroad ties on fire in the 1980s.

Railroad ties on fire in the 1980s. Steve Redick photo

Wood Dale Fire Department history

Wood Dale Pirsch ladder truck. Steve Redick photo

Railroad ties on fire in the 1980s.

Railroad ties on fire in the 1980s. Steve Redick photo

Bensenville squad. Steve Redick photo

Bensenville squad. Steve Redick photo

Elmhurst Fire Department history

Elmhurst Mack CF engine. Steve Redick photo

Elmhurst Fire Department history

Another shot of the Elmhurst engine. Steve Redick photo

Leyden Township FPD history

Leyden Township Hendrickson/FMC engine. Steve Redick photo

Elk Grove Village Fire Department history

Elk Grove Village Pirsch TDA. Steve Redick photo

Mount Prospect Fire Department history

Mount Prospect American LaFrance engine. Steve Redick photo

Mount Prospect Fire Department history

Mount Prospect American LaFrance engine. Steve Redick photo

Mount Prospect Fire Department history

Mount Prospect squad 543. Steve Redick photo

Morton Grove Fire Department history

Morton Grove engine with burned out trailer. Steve Redick photo

 

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Where are they now … Arlington Heights

Arlington Heights engine serves in Oklahoma:

This from Bill Friedrich:

Here is another Illinois rig serving a second life outside our state. Antlers FD in Oklahoma purchased the 1968 American LaFrnce 900 series that was rehabbed by Marion in 1980. Steve Loftin photo

Arlington Heights Fire Department Engine 418

Arlington Heights Fire Department Engine 418, a 1968 American LaFrance 900 Series engine that was re-habbed in 1980 by Marion Body Works. It has a 1,000-GPM pump and 500-gallon water tank. Bill Friedrich photo

Antlers Fire Department Oklahoma

Engine 2 for the Antlers Fire Department in Oklahoma is this 1968/1980 American LaFrance 900 Series/Marion Body Works 1000/500 engine originally owned by Arlington Heights, IL. Steve Loftin photo

Tags: , , , , ,

The color of fire trucks (part 6)

Jeff Rudolph is keeping us honest … and making sure that we’re accurate in our historical postings. He recently submitted comments reminding us of some fire departments that had non-red units which were not referenced in the postings about MABAS Division 3 and MABAS Division 4.

MABAS Division 4 additions:

Abbott Labs Fire Department engine

The Abbott Labs Fire Department in North Chicago had this 1978 Darley foam pumper on a Ford C8000 chassis. It carried 500 gallons of water, 20 gallons of foam, and had a 750-GPM pump. Bill Friedrich photo

The Abbott Labs Fire Department previously had two lime green engines and a van.

Bonnie Brook Fire Protection District tanker

The Bonnie Brook Fire Protection District had this tanker built by Boyer on a Ford L8000 chassis. Larry Shapiro photo

The Beach Park Fire Department was formerly the Bonnie Brook Fire Protection District. They had a brush truck, this tanker, an engine, a squad, and a van that were painted lime green before they switched to red.

Round Lake Fire District FMC engine

Round Lake had this FMC Roughneck engine on a Spartan chassis with the CFC cab. Jeff Rudolph photo

In addition to the two white CF Mack engines that were owned by the Greater Round Lake Fire Protection District, they also had this Spartan/FMC engine.

MABAS Division 3 additions:

Evanston Fire Department 1974 How engine

Evanston had two of these 1974 International/Hendrickson Howe engines that were yellow. Both had 1,000-GPM pumps and 300-gallon water tanks. These were later painted red. Photographer unknown, Jeff Rudolph collection

The Evanston Fire Department received twin engines in 1974 from Howe. They were both bright yellow and assigned as Engine 23 and 24.

Highwood Fire Department Engine 37R

Highwood used this X-Northbrook 1969 American LaFrance as a reserve engine. It had a 1,000-GPM pump with 500 gallons of water. Jeff Rudolph photo

Highwood used a retired engine from Northbrook as a reserve engine. This 1969 AmericanLaFrance 900 Series ran in Northbrook as Engine 60. The rear body work was done while it was owned by Northbrook.

Winnetka Fire Department Rescue 28

Winnetka purchased a small 'DOT' rescue from Pierce in 1981. Jeff Rudolph photo

In 1981, the Winnetka Fire Department received a small rescue on a Chevy chassis from Pierce. Bought with funding from the federal government, it was painted lime green to match the Department of Transportation spec. It was later repainted red and white.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Wintrhop Harbor has been added to the site

 

Winthrop Harbor Fire Department Seagrave Engine

Winthrop Harbor sits along Lake Michigan in the northeast corner of MABAS Division 4 along the Wisconsin border. They operate out of one station which is part of the municipal building with the police department. Packed full of apparatus, the four-bay station houses nine pieces of equipment. They are one of the only all Seagrave departments in Illinois with two engines and a 75′ Meanstick quint. Dating back to their long history of FWD rigs, they had FWD logos affixed to all of their modern Seagrave units. All of their equipment with the exception of the ambulances are painted white.

Winthrop Harbor Fire Department FWD antique engine

Winthrop Harbor has this restored 1949 FWD engine which is used in parades. The engine made the trip to Clintonville, WI for the Seagrave 125th anniversary.

Winthrop Harbor Fire Department antique engine

The 1949 FWD engine was in Clintonville for the Seagrave 125th anniversary parade. Bill Friedrich photo

Winthrop Harbor Fire Department antique engine

The officer's side of the restored 1949 FWD engine when it was at Seagrave. Bill Friedrich photo

Winthrop Harbor Fire Department fleet photo

This photo of the Winthrop Harbor fleet was taken in the 1970s by Bill Friedrich. Included are the 1949 and 1952 FWD engines, a 1966 Dodge/Welch mini pumper, a 1963 900 Series American LaFrance engine, a 1973 P-Series Seagrave engine, and a 1974 Ford/Welch squad unit.

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,