Excerpts from nbcchicago.com:

A young boy who suffered smoke inhalation after the Montclare home he was in caught fire has died.

Ezra Stewart, 7, had been listed in critical condition after police and firefighters responded to a house fire at 2550 N. Rutherford Ave on Tuesday. The home belongs to a member of the Chicago Fire Department, who was on duty at the time of the blaze.

The firefighter’s wife, 34, and two other young children, ages 7 and 2, also suffered smoke inhalation, and they remain hospitalized in critical condition.

The firefighter, who heard the call come in through dispatch, was taken to the scene by a battalion chief and worked to perform life-saving measures on his family before they were taken to the hospital.