Excerpts from the ChicagoSunTimes.com:

At 9:19 p.m.Wednesday night, Chicago firefighters responded to a call of  people trapped in a burning building in the 5600 block of South Damen. Crews rescued the only occupants, a 1-year-old baby and an adult. The baby was taken to Comer Children’s Hospital in serious condition with smoke inhalation. The adult didn’t need medical treatment.

Firefighters extinguished the fire by 9:30 p.m. Four people, including the adult and baby, were displaced. A space heater too close to flammable material appeared to be the origin of the fire, and the building had no working smoke detectors.