Excerpts from the ChicagoTribune.com:

A Palatine fire that left a woman dead and her disabled daughter injured likely was started by an extension cord, according to Palatine Deputy Fire Chief Patrick Gratzianna.¬†The extension cord ran under a rug in the daughter’s second-floor bedroom, where the fire began, he said.

The woman’s mother, Lois Demos, 63, died at Northwest Community Hospital in Arlington Heights after she was pulled from the blaze, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Her daughter, who is about 20 years old and, according to neighbors, is disabled, was transferred from Northwest Community Hospital to Loyola University Medical Center to be treated for burns.

Firefighters were called to the home in the 100 block of South Street around 8:15 p.m. Friday. When they entered the home, they found Demos unconscious near a bedroom, and her daughter semi-conscious near the living room.

The home was heavily damaged and deemed uninhabitable, according to fire officials.