It was a busy night in the northern suburbs.

The Evanston Fire Department struck a box alarm for fire in a three-story apartment building in the 700 block of Noyes. The CBS Chicago reports:

Firefighters were called to the 700 block of Noyes Street about 11:24 p.m. and quickly extinguished “heavy” flames in a second-floor apartment, according to a release from the Evanston Fire Department.

A 56-year-old man was rescued from the apartment, suffering from first and second degree burns, as well as smoke inhalation, the release stated. The man was taken to Evanston NorthShore Hospital in critical condition, according to the release.

Early this morning Wilmette firefighters pulled a resident from a burning house on Valley View Drive. The Chicago Tribune reports:

A Wilmette house fire that left a woman critically injured early this morning may have been started by a humidifier plugged into the bedroom wall, Fire Chief Jim Dominik said.

At about 1:15 a.m., Wilmette firefighters were called to a home in the 200 block of Valley View Drive and found the inside of the home fully involved with fire, Dominik said. The smoke was “thick and black, visibility was zero,” Dominik said.

Firefighters found the only resident of the house, a woman in her 60s, unconscious and in critical condition. After emergency treatment at the scene, she was transported to Skokie Hospital, where she was stabilized and then transferred to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge.

“The personnel first on the scene did a great job of locating and getting the victim out of the house,” Dominik said.