CFD in the news in Austin and Rogers Park.

The Chicago Tribune has an article about a Still & Box Alarm fire this morning:

A woman jumped from a window and three other people were injured in a fire that broke out in the South Austin neighborhood Tuesday morning, authorities said.

“When they got here, there was one woman who jumped from the second floor,” said Chicago Fire Department District Deputy Chief Don Hroma on the scene.

The 30-year-old woman was taken to John H. troger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County in serious-to-critical condition, according to the fire department. Three other people, two teen-aged girls and a man, were taken to hospitals in fair-to-serious condition.

Find the entire article HERE.

CO2 Poisoning kills two on the north side. The Chicago Tribune provides the following information:

After the first call to a West Rogers Park apartment building where two women had fallen ill, fire officials took a reading with a carbon monoxide detector but found that levels of the gas were too low to be considered dangerous, the Chicago Fire Department said.

About five hours later, shortly before 3:30 p.m. Sunday, firefighters were called again to the building in the 2500 block of West North Shore Avenue because another resident had become ill.

Officials then discovered dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in the building’s basement. The two women from the first call, Rasheeda Akhter, 77, and her granddaughter Zanib Ahmed, 18, later died at Swedish Covenant Hospital. The Cook County medical examiner’s office determined Monday the cause was carbon monoxide poisoning.

Fire officials and workers from Peoples Gas found that the boilers of the building’s furnace were not burning properly and that there was a leak in the exhaust system, said Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford.

“Fresh air was coming into the basement, but the bad air was going upstairs into the house,” Langford said.

Find this article HERE.

thanks Chris